Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Switch positions on plane startup

I'm newbie on sim build (I'm going to build a C172 sim), also just started to design my sketch and the cockpit, but faced with an issue.
    It can happen that the position of toggle switches are different than the cold and dark startup of a plane. I'm thinking on how to set the switch positions on FSX based on the actual status of the phisical (real) switches on the cockpit.
    My idea to wait for some input on the Arduino card when the plane loaded and then once send the right switch codes to FSX what is switched on my cockpit. My only concern is the trigger. Have any suggestion what to wait for with the beginning to jump to the 1st startup switch sending part?

Other issue that link2fs command to Master alternator switch in case of a C172 does't work properly. It is an FSX problem that I canT switch on the ALT until the BAT is not switched on, but when the BAT is on, and I send "E21" with the Arduino, it toggles the ALT switch on and off (same when I send "E19"), but "E20" does not do anything. Is it a bug in link2fs or in FSX?

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: Switch positions on plane startup

The case of the toggle switch being in the wrong position on startup is easily fixed.

If you are using a toggle switch then you can tick the extraction for (say pitot heat) and then, on the Arduino it compares that with the state of the toggle switch ,, if it's different then the Arduino sends the command C05 or C06 to change the one in the flightsim so they both match.

As far as the switch arrangement in the 172 (Alternator and Battery masters) it appears that M$ have mimicked what happens in real life which is probably a mechanical interlock between those 2 switchs. ?? It's not a bug ,, they have made the plane's own internal system to do that.

Most of my testing is done with the default Baron or the default 737 so if you think there is a bug in my program ,, check it with them first.

Cheers ,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

75+ Posting Member

It's also easy to install a hidden pushbutton switch to enable an IF statement in your sketch which reads all of your physical switches and sends them all to fsx. Just press it once when your plane is loaded and everything will match.

EDIT: This technique is not limited to switch positions. You can use it to send any start-up aircraft configuration you want.
    Last edited by SteveL; 04-23-2014 at 03:02 AM. Reason: addition

Thanks for the idea!
    Yes, this is what I planned to do as a workaround. The other workaround solution, that in case of any 1st switch movement it makes the settings.

I had another idea that listen to any incoming data with the Arduino and if there is any it sets the positions once.

But these are workarounds. Maybe there is a better solution for that.

25+ Posting Member

Hi, my personal observations with Link2Fs and reading switches tells me that - it is benefitial if you start Flight Sim window first and Link2fs - after. This way you enable Link2Fs to send data regarding switch positions to someone, who is already listening - Flight Sim. If you do it other way, then Link2Fs sends the data once, but it wanishes and would not be re-sent until the next change occur. Sometimes , despite the fact you started the sim first and Link2FS after, the sim rejects what Link2fs tells him to do, if the position of the arduino switch is OFF and the position of the related switch in the flight sim is ON by default. To overcome this - set your default state of the aircraft in Flight Sim- Cold and Dark, all sitches -OFF , and always start Flight Sim first, Link2FS - after, then you should enjoy a trouble-free initial switch reading and servo/steper positioning. This gives me an idea - it might me a good thing to place Link2FS in the flight sim folder and make the sim itself starts the program, when it is started.

Thanks for the idea.