Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Arduino I/O interface for X-Plane

Hello to all,

Before building my Baron-58 cockpit - http://b58.svglobe.com - I was already quite familiar with Arduino and was eager to use it as platform for I/O and after first tests with the board I found out that it's perfect to create an X-Plane interface and using Arduino with an "Ethernet Shield" the built-in UDP networking feature of the X-Plane it is possible to build a quite complex system for the cockpit.

Even when using Arduino Mega 1280 (and other as 2560) as a single device, without any other schematics or even key-matrix, this only give us about 50 digital inputs for buttons/toggles/encoders. (While for Baron project in addition to Arduino I've made the extention board for 128 inputs.)

I've launched the separate site, which will be dedicated entirely to I/O interface, based on Arduino platform. The first basic code there is showing how to use the Arduino alone for controling X-Plane, without any other schematics and plugins. Here it is the main page: http://svglobe.com
    -------------------
    Recently the new more specific "single-Arduino Plug-n-Fly" program was finished for one-engine piston airplane. (as Cessna 172/182/etc), that represents the full set of controls for such type of planes. All digital inputs on Arduino Mega used for switches, buttons and encoders. It includes most of Cessna 172/182/etc. control inputs as: all electrical panel switches, audio selector and radio buttons, 11 encoders, Starter/Magnetos switch, Transponder mode rotary switch, Flaps lever (analog), Gear Lever, Prop pitch, Mixture, Instrument Lighting.

All you need just upload code to Arduino, plug it to Ethernet and start XPlane.

(update, April )
    - New code samples - including the full set of encoders on one Arduino-Mega: 21 Encoder on Mega - Total 21 encoders are represented, this is virtually the entire set of controlled parameters, used in cockpits.

+ many test code samples...

Vlad

2. Thanks Sammy-E thanked for this post
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Re: Arduino I/O interface for X-Plane

(update March 15 )

-----------------------------------------
    I slightly altered the structure of the site, added new sections.

- Using Arduino analog inputs for the buttons array, with sample code, added to I/O Tips. If there is lack of digital inputs we can use each analog input as 10-50 buttons.

- Using Multiple Arduino, description added - one simple way - to use more arduino with E-Shield, other - I2C communication between multiple Arduinos.

This is excellent stuff. Good work Vlad!

10+ Posting Member

Top stuff Vlad, fantastic site and a very nice project indeed. All that information is incredibly helpful!