Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Garmin G1000 replica help

Okay, I have talked to the guys at FTS and they basically said it may work with the 800x600 reso but it would be better if it was 1024x768.

so....

I have found these 2 items on ebay:
    LTD104EA5S TOSHIBA 10.4 INCH LCD PANEL <- Its resolution is 1024 x 768 so $108 + $35 shipping
    and the LVDS Control board for it. (it only has VGA in) $ 29.00

so for a 10.4" display that has a reso of 1024 x 768 would be ~ $172.00

Okay, I have talked to the guys at FTS and they basically said it may work with the 800x600 reso but it would be better if it was 1024x768.

so....

I have found these 2 items on ebay:
    LTD104EA5S TOSHIBA 10.4 INCH LCD PANEL <- Its resolution is 1024 x 768 so $108 + $35 shipping
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LTD104EA5S-T...item255da15fbd

and the LVDS Control board for it. (it only has VGA in) $ 29.00
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Controll...item19d3ace066

so for a 10.4" display that has a reso of 1024 x 768 would be ~ $172.00

150+ Forum Groupie

Excellent! Note that you can use the G1000 with only a single display if the software you're using supports "reversionary" mode.

g.

No problem,

I plan on doing a full setup, MFD and PFD displays. When my screens come in I plan on building a PCB that goes around it like an U so I can mount all of my buttons, rotaries, etc...

I just wish I had some good cad of pdf files with dimensions for the G1000, I am having a hard time finding that information.

10+ Posting Member

Hi lealjay!

You mentioned having everything together beside of the screens. May I ask what push buttons you are planning to use. I found it hard to get suiting ones. Thank you for the source and best regards...

Alfred

10+ Posting Member

Hi again all,

I will also now be starting to build my full g1000 setup. I have already had some prototyping in pannel lasering and engraving. It works pretty good, is cheap and fast - the only thing that is still difficult is how to backlit the panel and the buttons.

Backlit Panel

I was planning to make a flood backlighting, but then it is necessary to cover the panels with 3 layers of paint. I found those guys from Finland here in the forums with a good idea about those light panels:

http://www.ebay.at/itm/151274678204?...84.m1438.l2649

Will be costly and difficult to reach all spots that need backlighting - but I will give it a try.

The panels are currently being designed in Corel Draw that can be used directly for handing the files to the local owner of a laser cutter. The laser cutter is € 1,20 per minute of lasering - so I will be paying about 100 Euro for the full set of G1000 panels including meterial.

Pics of the prototyping (at that time I was planning a King Air)
    Foto 1.jpgFoto 5.jpgFoto 2.jpg

Screens

According the screens I found interesting information in this forum and mailed with one of the major chinese suppliers (Chinatobby2011). They do not have 1024 resolution 10,4 inch panels. The other source here posted by lealjay with a separte controller is too expensive and unsure if it really works together. I just changed to a 12,1 screen setup. I do think that it really does not endanger the realism of the unit (to my preference) too much and in fact makes handling the unit even more comfortable.

http://www.ebay.at/itm/HDMI-VGA-2AV-...item27cd482a7b

The panel dimensions

As I am including the G1000 in a real shell of a Piper Arrow, I am bound to the actual size of the cockpit. I found out that building it in the look and feel of a Beech Baron G58 would suit the real thing 90%. Slightly smaller I know, but still it will be very authentic. This is why I will be taking my own dimensions according to look and feel and not according to real world sizes.
    corel_plan_g1000.jpg In this picture you see the differences between 10,4 inch and 12,1 inch - in red I checked the total size of the panel to get it still upon the yoke opening and beneath the leather covered glareshield. Looks good to me

Here ist the shell to fit:
    arrow006_jpg.jpg

Buttons

This is the most difficult topic. I think I have investigated here for months - but most of the buttons you buy have round caps or are far too big. So does anybody here know a source where you can find suiting buttons (approx. 6mmx9mm) that would look good? I found an old thread from 2011 here with a guy that has built this:
    IMG_3708 (1).jpg anyone has an idea what buttons he took?

So at this point I will be planning to laser them myself and put some tactile switches behind them. Also here I would be interested what you recommend. The apem switches for example are that much expensive (5 to 7 Euros each).. maybe there is something cheaper.

So far for the beginning. I would be really happy to stay in touch with you other G1000 builders to share experience.

Best, Alfred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12