Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

B747 MCP - 7 segment displays

At first, I was just going to save up the cash and buy a 747 MCP from cpflight but then I got thinking that now that I can do the whole mouse macro thing using FSUIPC, I could just make one. So I did a little searching around on eBay and found a bunch of 7 segment displays that I could use for the homemade MCP. Also found rotary encoders that have push button capabilities as well on there. I have some experiencing in wiring, particluarly car audio systems but I'm trying to figure out in my head how to wire up one of these displays to a rotary encoder and then interfacing it to a Leo Bodnar card. Hoping to find someone on here with wiring knowledge to help me out. I'm not building the MCP right now, but its the next build after I get the throttle quadrant completed.

75+ Posting Member BuildABoeing's Avatar

Re: B747 MCP - 7 segment displays

I guess you need some sort of display-board. LeoBodnar is only inputs.
    There are different options. I use OpenCockpits "Display cards".
    Perhaps others can help with how to get the output from FS through to the digits.

The wiring of 7-segments depends on what you have bought. Is it 1-digit segments or the 3-digits-in-one-unit-type?
    Best wishes, Peter
    Building a B737NG - Blog: BuildABoing

Ah ok. I was thinking of getting this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400476528352...84.m1423.l2649

I was under the impression that the display itself would show the numbers and be controlled by a rotary encoder which could be wired into the Bodnar card.

I did a little more research and found this: http://www.flightsimparts.eu/Simulat..._7Segment.html

Looks a little complex haha

Actually, I might have an idea that doesn't require the digital LED number display....

g1_mcp01.jpg

What are these number dials called? They are not digital and they spin to whatever you set it at?
    Last edited by visualchaosfx; 03-31-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

75+ Posting Member BuildABoeing's Avatar

Hi.

The Leo Bodnar card handles inputs. See it as a big joystick with a lot of buttons.
    You still need some sort of software that interprets the FS value and tells the display what to display. And you need some hardware that translates that value into a signal so that the 7-segment display understands.

Regarding the units on ebay you should indeed buy something like that. However they are quite big for a autopilot. The ones you have found is 0.56 inch. You should look for something around 0.36 inch (give or take). And make sure you buy "Common Chatode"
    Best wishes, Peter
    Building a B737NG - Blog: BuildABoing