Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Jeehel compared to Project Magenta

Price of large screens is coming down all the time, I can get a 47" for about the same price as a projector. I got thin bezels and I could get them even less obtrusive if I overlapped them. The main thing I have done is to use two for the forward views, most people use three which is OK for a single seat but not for a two seat cockpit. I set the eyepoint slightly different depending on which seat the aircraft is being flown from so I get a good view of the centreline. You can see the pilots view on my website, the last shot under the displays heading. Most of those shots are old ones with projectors. The bezels are behind the screen pillar of course but because the slope of the screens is not the same as the windows they are visible under some conditions. I minimise the bezel effect by a triangle of mirror which reflects the adjacent colours so blue sky looks fairly continuous. I have been using projectors for about six years, I changed because I don't have the width to get side views but I can with screens. Other advantages I found was that the colour mismatch due to asymmetric ageing of bulbs is corrected, also the alignment is much easier and the sharpness is orders better. I am not anti projector but screens suit my situation better. By the way you cannot do what I have done with Nvidia cards, it can only be done with ATI. I need to update the pictures on the website to show the current status.
    Barry
    www.a320sim.com

150+ Forum Groupie

Brian
    Yes I can stay with XP on one PC but I doubt JL would find it reasonable to develop his software to interface with them, I may be the only user.
    Barry

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barrykensett View Post
    Price of large screens is coming down all the time, I can get a 47" for about the same price as a projector. I got thin bezels and I could get them even less obtrusive if I overlapped them. The main thing I have done is to use two for the forward views, most people use three which is OK for a single seat but not for a two seat cockpit. I set the eyepoint slightly different depending on which seat the aircraft is being flown from so I get a good view of the centreline. You can see the pilots view on my website, the last shot under the displays heading. Most of those shots are old ones with projectors. The bezels are behind the screen pillar of course but because the slope of the screens is not the same as the windows they are visible under some conditions. I minimise the bezel effect by a triangle of mirror which reflects the adjacent colours so blue sky looks fairly continuous. I have been using projectors for about six years, I changed because I don't have the width to get side views but I can with screens. Other advantages I found was that the colour mismatch due to asymmetric ageing of bulbs is corrected, also the alignment is much easier and the sharpness is orders better. I am not anti projector but screens suit my situation better. By the way you cannot do what I have done with Nvidia cards, it can only be done with ATI. I need to update the pictures on the website to show the current status.
    Barry
    www.a320sim.com
    Ah OK, I'm not familiar with projectors but I didnt know they where that bad! Having a large screen close to you is OK? Do you use plasma or LCD? Is your setup similar to this one:

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

I personally prefer projectors because there are no bezels. You can setup a 180 degree wrap with 2x short throw w1080st projectors now.

Masse%u00252B180.PNG

150+ Forum Groupie

I use LCD screens, not setup like the 737 above where the pilot has the bezels in front of him.

My view from the pilot's seat is like this, note no bezels visible.
    kaitak dusk.jpg

And from the centreline

grandson2.jpg

If however I lean forward and peer behind the screen pillar I can see the top half of the bezels.
    If I pulled the sides of the screen back any further it would not be good on the eyes, I slid them back and forth to get an acceptable position.

I could not use the projector setup above as I don't have room over the overhead. I used back projection onto the screen.

Barry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12