Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: MD-80 Project! ( Newbie )

Quote Originally Posted by xplanematt View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with Avro on the sim choice. You have made a solid decision going with X-Plane. Despite the efforts to keep MSFS limping along as Prepar3d, it's still completely outclassed by X-Plane at this point. I suspect FS/Prepar3d is going to end up as an old legacy product that will receive a multitude of patches, hacks, and band-aids in order to try to keep up with modern standards.

Interfacing to X-Plane is a breeze...the API is mature, well-documented, has tons of support and third-party tools available, and is OFFICIALLY supported by X-Plane's author/creator (Austin Meyer), so its future is assured. Hooking into MSFS/Prepar3d is a hack...always has been. It's ugly. I am speaking from experience, I have gotten quite deep in FS9/FSX for myself on a couple of different projects on other sims.
    I wasn't saying that FSX itself is the best, I was saying that the Leonardo Maddog, which is not available for XPlane, is unrivaled in accuracy and cockpit-building support. You can even use its shared cockpit feature as an easy way to run the sim off of multiple computers.

150+ Forum Groupie

Ah I see....I checked out the Maddog site, it does look pretty impressive. I'm curious how it's particularly helpful to cockpit builders, is there a scripting system or API that allows developers to hook directly into its systems? That's what seems to be missing on a lot of third-party aircraft in general: everything is a mouse click (or perhaps keystrokes, for certain more prominent items).

This is partly why I never really consider the work of third-party aircraft developers in my sim building, as I've always found it easier to just hook into X-Plane myself. Plus no one seems to be modeling the systems of a Sabreliner...it's an odd one to simulate, I suppose

The reason why The Maddog (Surprised you've never heard of it) is great for cockpits is because not only its MD80 systems simulation is unmatched, but there are offsets provided in the documentation for home cockpit support.

The HS748 simulation I'm using is also cockpit friendly, as it's 100% XML and thus the variables can easily be written to FSUIPC Offsets.

Since there is no Sabreliner Simulation for MSFS, I think you made the right choice in using X-Plane

75+ Posting Member

I am going to building Il-62 simulator, there is well documented in aerodynamics and some other.

Hello everyone, so I had this oil press. gauge for a while, figured i'd put it in my panel. It came from a 737 got pulled out from service in '98 I believe, and it looks great for that much time.

photo (1).jpg
    "If it 'aint Boeing I 'aint going!" - A wise pilot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12