Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Is a separate drive for FSX worth it ???

After SAving up for a while I finally went out and purchased the parts for my new Flight Sim PC. I had planned to purchase two SSDs, one for Win 7 and one for FSX. However, I hit the budget limit and could not get the second SSD. It'll be 2 or 3 weeks before I have the cash for another SSD. So the question is:

How much performance gain will I get from running FSX on a separate SSD from Win 7?

Is it a big enough performance gain to be worth the extra cash and a 3 week wait, or should I just save the cash and the delay frustration and load both Win 7 and FSX on the same 250G SSD?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tom G.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

25+ Posting Member

Re: Is a separate drive for FSX worth it ???

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_G_2010 View Post
    After SAving up for a while I finally went out and purchased the parts for my new Flight Sim PC. I had planned to purchase two SSDs, one for Win 7 and one for FSX. However, I hit the budget limit and could not get the second SSD. It'll be 2 or 3 weeks before I have the cash for another SSD. So the question is:

How much performance gain will I get from running FSX on a separate SSD from Win 7?

Is it a big enough performance gain to be worth the extra cash and a 3 week wait, or should I just save the cash and the delay frustration and load both Win 7 and FSX on the same 250G SSD?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tom G.
    I'm no computer expert but I was just not long ago considering the same thing. For the cost of an additional SSD drive just for FSX, any performance boost (if any) does not seem practical. Personally, I'd put that extra money in a slightly better processor.

25+ Posting Member

Hello Tom!

If by performance gain you mean better FPS and smoothness then the answer is no. However, the SSD will cut loading times and the whole experience of using FSX may be worth the investment. Personally I would not install OS and FSX on the same SSD as it will tear out the drive a little quicker. I have some experience of running P3D 1.4 on a computer with separate SSD's for OS and Sim. My opinion is that if the PC is dedicated to run FSX (or any other sim) it's worth the two SSD's. A smaller one for OS and maybe the 250 for FSX?

Regards,
    -Henri

4. Likes fsx-cockpit liked this post

Last week I tested my 480GB FSX SATA3 HDD in a new Mainboard 6 Core 3500-4100MHZ and I put a old GF8800GTS 512MB into.
    Before I had 4 Core 3000Mhz.

Result:
    Much better performence on ground, all smoth now. Can´t believe.
    FSX needs much Core Power.
    I think HDD and Grafikcard is not the holy stone...

CPU very very importend.

CU Chris
    Nothing gets me down - until my girlfriend say " Darling...please...garbage!" Homepage: www.fsx-cockpit.com

6. Thanks memorgan thanked for this post

Thanks everyone!

Yesterday I made two decisions: 1. That I was going to use a 2 SSD configuration; and 2. That I didn't want to wait until my next paycheck.

That later decision, of course, meant convincing my wife that a second SSD was a much wiser use of our money than some groceries, heck we'd only eat those and then they'd be gone. And, she agreed! So I will be installing SSD number 2 this weekend.

Again, Thanks!
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback