Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

learning to use Sioc

I am brand new to using this program. I have my master card connected, and was able to test the inputs using the monitor. Beyond that, I am lost. I printed the manual from Open cockpits but it is confusing. Page 4 of annex 2 shows a screen shot of a program I have no idea where it is. is there an existing thread that already gives some guidance on where to start or a better manual than the one supplied by open cockpits. Any help would be great!

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: learning to use Sioc

75+ Posting Member

David, thanks so much. I have looked at that page before. Problem is, I have no idea where to input the commands. That how lost I am. What do you suggest I do?

75+ Posting Member

David, after some thought I went back to that page. I will read a little more of his instructions to see if I can sort this out. Thanks!

That page, and a few others on Nico`s site have the basic information that you require. Try a few simple exercises by using his examples and write a script in Notepad. Save the file in the IOCARDS\SIOC directory as say test.txt. Then edit the sioc.ini file to change the line CONFIG_FILE=C:\Program Files (x86)\IOCards\SIOC\test.txt

By using the IOCPConsole (a button in the SIOC main window) you can check what is happening when your script is run by looking at the variables and/or using the log function

Best thing is to dive in and get on with it

David

75+ Posting Member

David, Thanks, I have written my first script, for an on off power switch. I wrote it in text, then did the edit to ssi. From there I don't know how to see if It even works. I looked the log function, but see no change when I ground the terminal I selected in the inputs to the master board. here is what I wrote. Var 1 Link IOCARD_SW Input 1 Type I // Is input one, terminal one of my input to the master card? I have NEVR done any progaming, actually, I wrote some BASIC a long, long time ago. Other than that, I am a virgin babe! I appreciate your help. My skills are electronics, (some), and mechanical so if there is ever any way I can help you, say the word!

I suggest we keep it simple to begin with

Write your script in notepad and save it to the SIOC directory as mytest.txt
    Amend your sioc.ini as suggested above so that the CONFIG_FILE line references the correct directory and new filename
    Run SIOC. If all correct you will see the message File Complied in the sioc main text window. Also, you will see the filename mytest.txt showing in the sioc black window just above the 10 option buttons

If you do not see these messages then you have done something wrong - check the filename, where you saved it and your sioc.ini entry

If all ok then go into IOCPConsole and you should see variable 1, which should change value when you ground input one with its associated ground. If not then are you properly identifying input 1 and its ground - see the manual. Input 1 is not necessarily the first physical input on the mastercard, again check the manual. Do you have the OC "breakout board" for inputs - it makes identifying the inputs very easy

Also, within IOCPConsole, if you click on Logon, you should see text in the right hand window showing Var 1 change value.

75+ Posting Member

David, something occurred to me while working on this as you suggested. When I open sioc, I get a message that says( " is not a valid integer value). also when I open the config button, I get an access violation error. They program opens after both faults but I wonder if this is what is causing me some problem. I uninstalled sioc, restarted my pc, the re-installed it. I still get the messages. Any ideas?

Glenn

Please follow precisely what I set out above and do not press the Config Devices button

David

75+ Posting Member

Im sorry, the config button usage I picked up from the link you provided me. Your statement, "Amend your sioc.ini as suggested above so that the CONFIG_FILE line references the correct directory and new filename" is foreign to me. I have no idea how to do that. It sounds to me like this is beyond my skills. I do have the oc breakout card for inputs and outputs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast