Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Multiple plates per panel

That was my conclusion David.

I think it could be done, but it would take forever - And on balance, given the many other things to be done in a build, not worth the effort imo.

Pity, because the results were quite authentic.

Glad my findings were of interest though.

The blind holes for the leds weren't too much of a problem as there was enough depth in the material to use a standard drill bit - It was the ones around the switches/knobs that were most problematical due to the diameter.

A lot of the drill bits/cutters suitable for the material have spurs to keep the cut centered - But you don't want them to break through - So I tried starting the hole off that way then switching to a milling cutter to get the flat bottom.
    -But I found it tended to snatch and chatter - Bit scary to be honest!

I don't know how they do it on the real thing - But I suspect they use a stepped cutter.

I tried a small test panel to evaluate the light effect- And then went on to try one in anger - But to be fair, I picked a fwd overhead engine start panel - Which is probably not the best to start on.

-At least it wasn't a multi-colour!

I think the technique might have a place for small one-offs if you have a machine shop with a vertical milling machine - But not for the amateur with a pillar drill.

I guess an alternative approach might be to use two pieces sandwiched with different sized holes - But I'm not sure what would happen to the light at the interface in the centre.

Rob

150+ Forum Groupie

A simpler method is to use 3mm white acrylic front plate sprayed and engraved or stuck on letters, masked and sprayed. Only needs through holes for switches/buttons. Then use 6mm clear lightplate with through holes. PCB on back. Much easier to drill and file. Glue plates together with super glue or chloroform(trichloroethane). Superglue safest as chloroform dangerous and dissolves paint/plastic.
    Use MATT acrylic household paint. Cheap water based no solvents. Fianlly coat with MATT clear varnish which unfortunately is solvent based and stinks so do it outside not in the kitchen
    geoff

25+ Posting Member

I Have made my 747-400 based o/head (inputs only)using the very simple way of white acrylic/drilled /mini sticky letters/blank sheet,no's,circles ,lines etc/2x undercoat/3x top coat/peel off letters/one long strip led lights left to right etc behind installed panels.The effect is pretty reasonable in my opinion especially the backlighting which is evenly spread.The cost per panel is very low,and the 15 or so panels took about 4-5 hours each to make .

regards Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12