Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

LCD Displays for 172 MIP

I am building a GA simulator using a C172 Fuselage. It will, of course, be very Cessna-esk but I plan to configure a few different aircraft ranging from the 172 to a 182 and 337 to a Bonanza and Baron. As such I can't use fixed mechanical instruments in the MIP, but want to stick with steam gauges.

Those requirements are leading me to look to an instrument panel cut out overlaid on LCD Monitors. The obstacle I need to overcome though is that the yoke shaft support sticks up in the middle of the MIP and moving it is not an option. This has lead to an, as of yet unsuccessful, search for the right combination of small monitors to cover the area of the MIP that will have instruments.

There are plethora of combinations that I could use and below I've illustrated several possibilities. So far I've found a couple monitors that come close but none that come close enough. I'm hoping someone can point me to a variety of sources so that I can continue my search.

And, as always, I'm open to any additional ideas on how I might accomplish this.

THANKS!!! Tom G.

Here are the monitor sizes (shown in mm of required viewable area) for the various configurations:

A - 340mm W x 163mm H
    B - 156mm W x 68mm H
    C - 157mm W x 163mm H <
    D - 156mm W x 255mm H
    E - same as C
    F - 68mm W x 163mm H
    G - 68mm W x 255mm H
    H - 68mm W x 68mm H
    I - 345mm W x 68mm H
    Attached Images Attached Images
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

Re: LCD Displays for 172 MIP

Bummer, no ideas ??????

Anybody have any experience with those ultra compact projectors?

I'm hitting multiple brick walls looking for LCD monitors that come even close to the above dimensions so I'm toying with the idea of putting up a semi opaque screen behind the instrument panel mask. A screen like those used in the old rear projection TVs and using an ultra compact projector.

The question is can a get one with a short enough throw and wide enough projection angle to cover the needed area of the instrument panel???

So an area of about 345mm wide x 255mm High . I don't have the depth measurement from the firewall to the MIP frame but I'll get that tomorrow and edit this post to include it.

HELP!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

300+ Forum Addict

Hi couldn`t you use a combi with monitors and instruments from Simkits or FI ea?,
    when using short trow maybe something with a mirror and screen is a option if Yoke rod is not a problem
    regards Henk

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    Hi couldn`t you use a combi with monitors and instruments from Simkits or FI ea?,
    when using short trow maybe something with a mirror and screen is a option if Yoke rod is not a problem
    regards Henk
    I had considered the hybrid approach and may have to go back to that, but the challenge is if I stick with the conventional layout for the six pack the two instruments change the most between different aircraft, the Airspeed indicator and the Vertical Speed Indicator are in opposite corners of the panel.

The yoke rod will cast a shadow, but if the rough sketches I did last night are correct the shadow would be in an area that has no instruments so I'm good there.

Thanks for bringing up the mirror, to make it all fit it might need to be a folded arrangement.

Tom G.

Aviation Enthusiast

Hi there,

Have you considered getting a gauge creation kit?

Quote Originally Posted by samfranklin View Post
    Hi there,

Have you considered getting a gauge creation kit?
    I had but I'm not sure how that addresses the need to have different air speed arcs or Vertical Speed Scales. I would still be left having to mechanically swap out instruments to change aircraft type. Or, am I not understanding what you are suggesting?