Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

more than 3 mega cards possible?

Hey Jim, I first want to say how much I admire the work you are doing. Now my question: Is it possible to use more than 3 mega cards with link2fs_multi?
    SteveL

Aviation Enthusiast

Re: more than 3 mega cards possible?

If you had more than one pc, it could be possible but I'm sure Jim will tell us!

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Hi Steve ,, for each "Multi" you have open you can run 3 cards directly ,,, there are two options for running more cards tho ,,,,

1/.. Just run multiple copies of the Multi ,,,, I've had 3 running at once with no detrimental effects (That's 9 cards although I never had 9 actually connected)
    At the moment tho ,,, all the Multi's have to be on the same computer as FSX (or FS9)

2/.. Just run 3 cards and "Daisey chain" other cards off those first 3 cards.
    The above would take a bit of planning but it's actually quite logical. ,,,, A mega gives you 68 pins ,,, use only 2 of them to pass the coms on to the next 1 or 2 etc ,,, using l2c (a com's system between Arduino cards.) There are various other ways to daisy chain them but that's the basics.

Tony is using the daisy chaining in his sim ,,,,,
    http://www.erj145.com/index.pl?n=funct
    Although he is using the smaller cards ,, there is no reason you can't use the Mega cards and do the same.

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

75+ Posting Member

That's great, thanks. I'm modularizing the cockpit and want to have dedicated Arduinos in each module. Does either method you mentioned offer any advantage in performance?

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Well that's easy Steve ,,, multiple copies of the Multi running at the same time.

The thing with running extra cards off each other is the lag involved ,,, although this wouldn't matter 2 hoots for things like the overhead (button and indications) it will add lag to things like rotary encoders and anything else that needs to re-act fast.
    In some cases you would have to run separate 5 volts supply to the "Daisy chained" cards.
    You also need to plan how much serial traffic is running ,, even to the first card of each daisy chain.

The only bad thing about running multiple "Multi"s is it get's VERY confusing in your head !!!!!!!
    Believe me ,,,, VERY confusing ,,, VERY fast !!!!! especially during the programing stage.
    They go fine tho once it's all setup and running.

Happy pondering ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

75+ Posting Member vikingsraven's Avatar

you could also get the existing ones to talk to each other using SPI or i2c, you can link upto 127 of them together if i recall correctly.

7. Likes Fess_ter liked this post
    75+ Posting Member

Sam, Jim and Vikingsraven, I appreciate the advice/help. I hope to get a chance to repay you all at some future time. I'll give you guys an update when I have more to show. Thanks again.
    Happy flying
    SteveL

Actually if you need to add switches , why not matrix them up and use something like the keypad library.http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/KeypadTutorial im using it at work on a 4x4 keypad and it only uses 8 ports for 16 switches. you may have to do a little routine to check the switches previous state but that shouldn.t be to difficult.
    that way you can have 64 switches only using 16 pins!
    Infact you could have up to 1024 switches running from one Mega 32 x 32. HMMMMMMMM! brain goes into overload.

or heres info on the i2c route
    http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-conn...ers-using-i2c/
    now you can have 131,072 switches connected 128 x (32 x32).
    Don't think the space shuttle had that many switches on board!
    Last edited by vikingsraven; 01-04-2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: added extra info

75+ Posting Member

Thanks Vikingsraven, I was aware of the I2C but had never investigated the keypad library. I'm going to need about 120 switch inputs and they are mostly existing switch contacts inside other equipment, so the keypad method won't work for me. About 90 of them come from my radio heads, so I'm probably going to end up with 3 Mega boards just for the radios.

I just love the tactile feel of the Gables frequency selector knobs, truly amazing. They literally snap between digits, and the belt/gear driven frequency indicators feel like you are operating a machine, which I guess you are. I have 5 COM, 2 NAV and 1 Transponder frequency switch units which I want to use to make my radio heads. They have multi-stage rotary selector switches, wired for hardware based bcd which needs decoding in the Arduinos. Since these aren't particularly timing sensitive, I think they are a good candidate for I2C, and as Jim says, it will make the operation a bit more understandable.

My main switch panel is also a candidate for I2C for the same reasons. My instrument panels and motion platform hardware are an entirely different story. I've got 6 E/P converters, 3 displacement sensors, 19 servos and 8 voltmeter outputs which all have to be scaled (mapped), and most of them are time sensitive. I'm not sure that the Arduinos have enough horsepower for all of the functions, but the load will certainly need to be distributed to multiple boards so that the scan times remain reasonably fast. I didn't know if link2fs was going to be an appropriate choice for me, which was why I was asking the original questions.

I appreciate your post, this is my first Arduino project and the link to Hacknmod is actually a great help to me. Most of my experience is with industrial process automation so I have quite a bit to learn here. thanks.

SteveL your welcome, i usually work with PLC's myself, idea for you, get a WAGO plc ( or other i just use wago as they plug and play) use that to connect all the switches (it will cost more than the arduinos obviously!) then use modbus to send the data to a single arduino or directly via RS232 module to the com port, the software doesn't actually care whats connected to it as long as the data speed and the port are correct.
    https://code.google.com/p/simple-modbus/

re your bcd to 7 segment have a look at this http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...isplay-driver/
    this may be of use for that.
    hope this helps
    Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast