Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Link2FS UDP Interface

Hi Jim,
    Is there a way in the future that you can wrap the selected extractions using LAN (UDP Protocol). The user will supply the IP address and port say 192.168.0.1 port 8090. The user will then create a program in Labview that will receive this extactions and parse whatever needed aside from Arduino.
    I may use some Data Acquisition and I/O HW from National Instruments for HW interface and Motion.

Thanks
    INSO

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: Link2FS UDP Interface

Yes that's in the plans Inso ,,, I've already had a play in that direction.

But I won't get back to the "additions" that I have in mind until our winter arrives. (in NZ)

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

75+ Posting Member vikingsraven's Avatar

If you need that now, why not use a ethernet shield. Setup the arduino as a web server and restream the data. There will be a slight delay but it should work.
    Hope this helps . Mark

OK I've had a look at the LAN code that is already in the Multi and it is TCP ,,, so I started doing a wee "hack" for UDP ,,, then the brain took over and I ground to a halt.

I need some feedback on this as I want to do this correctly the first time around.

Is there a reason that it has to be UDP ????? the way I see it, although UDP is faster there is no guarantee the packets will get there and they could even be not in the order they were sent ,, plus errors are a possibility.

TCP on the other hand is slower (but still a lot faster than serial) and offers a guaranteed packet delivery with no errors.
    This is why the LAN stuff that is in there at the moment is TCP.

What I am looking at is this ,,,,
    Obviously a LAN connection
    In the Multi ,, the Card1 page will have the option to be LAN or Serial.
    Everything ticked will be sent out the LAN connection in exactly the same format as it does now via the serial.
    Each "packet" would be one item ,, ie ,,,
    =A123.45
    =J1200
    =d234
    etc etc

The Simconnect inputs and the "Keys" will work exactly the same as it does now. (as if using a serial connection.)

I can see a huge advantage in going in/out with a LAN connection ,, talking to another computer ,, PLC's ,, other cards that have a "brain" and a network connection etc etc. and of course the sheer speed of it compared to Serial if your using a lot of extractions.

OK Guys ,, any suggestions ,, Idea's etc ????

Cheers ,,, Jim

I don't know if it will help Jim, but you could look at the way this guy uses the Arduino and an ethernet shield
    for X-Plane and his Baron58 sim. http://b58.svglobe.com/code.html

75+ Posting Member vikingsraven's Avatar

Used to do a lot of Radar data logging, that was TCP, I think TCP is the way to go rather than UDP, especially if your in a busy network.
    Is this going to use sockets and pipes, cos that just does my head in!
    It really depends on the amount of data being sent, I don't think there will be any perceivable difference ( I may be wrong not really into networking stuff!)
    But the LAN connection will open up more opportunities. Especially on what im aiming for with he cadets and training.
    I take it his wont loose any card slots?
    could you just re stream the data from fsx like a webserver then run link2fs and decode via that?
    Last edited by vikingsraven; 01-09-2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    OK I've had a look at the LAN code that is already in the Multi and it is TCP ,,, so I started doing a wee "hack" for UDP ,,, then the brain took over and I ground to a halt.

I need some feedback on this as I want to do this correctly the first time around.

Is there a reason that it has to be UDP ????? the way I see it, although UDP is faster there is no guarantee the packets will get there and they could even be not in the order they were sent ,, plus errors are a possibility.

TCP on the other hand is slower (but still a lot faster than serial) and offers a guaranteed packet delivery with no errors.
    This is why the LAN stuff that is in there at the moment is TCP.

What I am looking at is this ,,,,
    Obviously a LAN connection
    In the Multi ,, the Card1 page will have the option to be LAN or Serial.
    Everything ticked will be sent out the LAN connection in exactly the same format as it does now via the serial.
    Each "packet" would be one item ,, ie ,,,
    =A123.45
    =J1200
    =d234
    etc etc

The Simconnect inputs and the "Keys" will work exactly the same as it does now. (as if using a serial connection.)

I can see a huge advantage in going in/out with a LAN connection ,, talking to another computer ,, PLC's ,, other cards that have a "brain" and a network connection etc etc. and of course the sheer speed of it compared to Serial if your using a lot of extractions.

OK Guys ,, any suggestions ,, Idea's etc ????

Cheers ,,, Jim
    You can group the extractions say NAV/COM Radios, Autopilot, Indicators, Systems1, 2, 3, etc. If you can fit each group of extraction to a 512k or 1M of data buffer which I think will only take a few milliseconds. If this will be realized, we can create an avionics system application (for me, it will be Labview).

The avionics application will continuously query the extractions and from time to time will send Simconnect inputs. Your application will serve as a bridge or server.

I am planning to build a home cockpit myself but I want to start with your application. Possible iteration is the following:

1) FSX Simconnect + Link2FS
    2) FSX + FSUIPC + PMDG737ngx
    3) FSX + PROSIM

Regards
    INSO

So far I've got "proof of concept" stuff running in TCP mode ,,, next would be to have a fiddle with UDP and see what things go like.

As against what I said in my above post ,,, it won't take up a serial slot ,, it's an additional slot(s).

Inso ,, you seem to be on a big mission there ,, is this "hobby" or commercial ???
    The reason I ask is,, I'm sort of bending toward having the output stream easy to decode on a networked Arduino or the other types of cards that have somewhat limited capabilities with on-board memory , speed, etc.

There will be options available to the user tho as to how the data is sent.

Your thoughts ????

Cheers ,,, Jim

Do Megabit-Lan makes a different??? Compressing Data-Flow??? Big Backbone " Glassfaser"

HaaHaa Chris ,, actually I don't think the different protocols are going to make much difference as it might appear that the slowest "flow" of data is from the part of my program that sorts out what some-ones ticked or not.
    I'm hoping I don't have to split that off into separate threads. !!

Still at the end of the day ,, it can only be as fast as the changes in the data from FSX.
    So far ,,, so good ,, it's holding it's own.

See ya ,, Jim

11. Thanks fsx-cockpit thanked for this post
    Likes fsx-cockpit liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast