10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Curved Screen Question

Howdy all,

So, after a lot of back and forth I realized that building a collimated display just wasn't in the budget, so i set about coming up with an alternative that was within the budget. My 'cockpit' ultimately amounts to a new purpose built desk with a 90 degree curved screen to replace my current setup of 3 monitors. The biggest thing was setting up a place to prop up the iPad for use with BMS Falcon. Eventually i'll build a proper ICP, but...i figure this'll work. The other nice thing is this new deskpit will have a place to put my massive NZXT phantom tower, recessed control beds with built in arm rests. I'll be able to have a nice little panel area that doesn't obscure the screens.

So, here's my question. I'm planning on an HD 1920x1080 projector, and a 16:9 aspect ratio. What i've figured out so far, is width wise my screen works out to around 4' wide, which based on what i've figured out about the 16:9 aspect ratio means it needs to be 2' 3" high. The radius for the screen is based on a design eye position of 2' 10" from eyeball to screen center. Do those numbers make sense?

My other question, is it possible to setup a projector to do say, 4000x720 without using 2 projectors? Has anyone done 90 degrees with a single projector? I mean, i'd imagine yes because it's essentially a monitor at that point. I guess really the end goal is to do with one projector what i've been doing with 3 monitors so it's a nice seamless screen. I run Rise of Flight and the like at 4000x720 typically which is why I ask.

The only real problem i have right now is that this thing is WAY to tall. In the lightwave screenshot the black outline is the 16:9 proper screen, the one below is the screen size i'd like to go with. I figure i can do that, the only question is masking at that point. I'd need to either mask the projector itself or significantly decrease the height. Anyway....enough rambling!

Attached is my current setup, and a screen shot of my planned deskpit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Curved Screen Question

Hi BradMick,

Resolution is usually physically determined by the number of pixels in the projector chip and although some projectors allow digital up-scaling 4000pixels would be way too much for one projector. If you'll want to get resolution close to 4000 you will need either 2 x 1920 projectors or 3x 1280.

From what I can see from the design the panels will more likely interfere with the projector beam - I would recommend to put more space between the hardware and screen - or you can put it very close to the screen and create mask for warping and blending to prevent projecting on the hardware.

Getting 90º per projector is definitely no problem with correct projection surface otherwise you'll have to deal with hot spotting (edges will have significantly different brightness than edges). I'm getting 270º with 3 projectors with material I've recently developed for DiY cockpit builders)
    simpit trident HD7.jpgsimpit trident HD5.jpgsimpit trident HD2.jpgsimpit trident HD9.jpgsimpit trident HD8.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images