Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEDs

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

LEDs

I am currently building a 737ng pit and going in almost totally blind !
    I am only building captains side

Can any body please tell me how to wire the LED warning indicators, and can they be done through the BU0836x card ?

Thanks

150+ Forum Groupie verticallimit's Avatar

Re: LEDs

If the indicators do not already have mounted a resistor, then you can use the link below to calculate the resistor.
    You can not use BU0836 for outputs this card is only for input.

LED Resistor Calculator
    Sincerely,

Claus

3. Thanks paul7647 thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Thanks for that, Claus

So how do I connect LED indicator to light up on panel ?

25+ Posting Member

You need to buy an Output card..ala open cockpits, fds, phidgets, etc.

6. Thanks paul7647 thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Paul7647,

Pokeys Cards and Led Extension Boards from Wendy http://www.flightsimparts.eu/ would be a good option for your Project,

I have so far used nothing but these cards plus other 7 segment cards from Wendy's site and am also using prosim737. This so far has done myHomemade MCP & Overhead and will be using this for homemade CDU. soon.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    Last edited by Bernie; 03-16-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Removed duplicated link
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

8. Thanks paul7647 thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

ok! Got that sorted !!

Is there any tutorials out there that can help me regarding wiring the leds for the landing gear ?

Thanks

1. What card are you interfacing the landing gear lever LEDs with? Different hardware has different wiring specs.
    2. How many LEDs? makes a difference in how they are wired
    3. What software are you interfacing the landing gear lever with? makes a difference in how they are controlled, and thus wired.
    4. What color LEDs? White LEDs with green and red film, or red and green LEDs. Makes a difference in how they are wired together due to different voltages and current.

All required information in order to provide an answer. In the meantime, you can check out this link:

http://led.linear1.org/

In basic theory, you'll wire the LEDs (usually two per postion) in series with a common ground, inline resistors, and the positive going to a hardware output (OC card, FDS card, Sismo, PoKeys etc).

Of the top of my head, using the wizard at the above link http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz an example of ONE Annunicator, say Nose Gear Down, with white LEDs would be:

Source voltage of 5V
    diode forward voltage of 3.6 (Red and Green will have a different voltage, check the LED specs)
    diode forward current of 20mA (Red and Green will have a different voltage, check the LED specs)
    number of LEDs in array is typically 2.

You'd end up needing two 82 Ohm Resistors between the short leg of each LED and the ground. Postive side wiuld be connected to your card output which would be triggered by your software, and the negative would be connected to your cards negative.

Hope that helps a bit.

Warren

11. Thanks paul7647 thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Hi Warren

And thanks for that mine of imformation ! WOW

I am currently awaiting an Opencockpits Output card and thought I would have a go at wiring the leds before it arrives.
    they are 3 reds and 3 green leds again from opencockpits and I am using Ifly 737 on FS2004 do I assume I will use iflytofscuip or is it sioc that I need?

Paul

No problem.
    I won't be much help in the SIOC with the OC cards realm however, you need to check out this site for examples of how to do the scripts for that. While Nico's Lekseecon deals with 767, it all applies. http://www.lekseecon.nl/howto.html

The OC landing gear panel uses two bulb annuciators, meaning two GREEN 5mm LEDs in each GREEN annunciator, and two 5mm RED in each RED. RED LEDs typically have 2.2V forward voltage and 20mA max forward current. GREEN LEDS have 2.0V and 20mA. Use those numbers in the wizard and it will tell you what resistors you need. Click on the various outputs (schematic, wire diagram etc) and you'll get an idea of what it looks like. the Long leg on an LED is the ANODE (POSITIVE) and the short leg is the CATHODE (NEGATIVE). As for the resistors, it doesn't matter what direction they face in.

Now you just solder all that together and you should end up with an annunicator box that has two leds, two resistors, and a positive and negative wire. You can connect ALL the negatives together and then connect them to the output card as long as all the corresponding positives also connect to the same output card.

I haven't got a clue on the iFly, but you will still need to run SIOC to interface the USB Expansion/Master Card/Output to FSUIPC.

You will also need inputs for the gear handle switches.

Off topic, but to just make sure you are tracking: Your OC output card will need to connect to a Mastercard, which unless your system has a parallel port, will then in turn need to be connected to a USB Expansion card.

14. Thanks paul7647 thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Noted!

Thanks for your help, fantastic website you've got!!!!

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast