75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Adruino that went a-wall

Hello again to all
    I have a problem with my arduino mega
    I started building my COM/NAV/MCU.I got my arduino mega ,started to modify Jim code and test it on FX via Link2FS
    So my 20x4 CD display stated up,got few switches and stuck on encoders.
    After a day of work and little results I decided that I will tidy up the mess of wiring around my contraption,so I disconnected everything and put it back again.
    And it did not work.After several connection and disconnection of the whole thing I left it to next day.

Next day managed to get it running again LCD started working switches as well but encodes where still with no lif in them.

I noticed something different about the arduino a well.

fore the LCD would go off every time new sketch is uploaded (RESTARTING ARDUINO) where now it stays on doing the upload.
    Also when I upload the sketch that does not have LCD in it the LCD is still on and displaying data from previous sketch.

t looks like arduino is not cleaning the memory each time new sketch is uploaded,like new sketch is going on top of the old on.
    In addition encoders are not working at all,I moved the LCD to pins 46 to 53 to make the place on lower pins for encoder following advice from Jim,but I am gating nothing from encoders,even on serial monitor.

I checked them with multimeter and the do work
    Connection are ok as well,I think that maybe I damaged the Arduino in some way,or I need to reset it.

I would be great full for any suggestion s for how to reset the arduino or what might went wrong and how to fix it.
    Even the test sketches for encodes don't work

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Adruino that went a-wall

So long as the lcd has power, it will hold previous information. Simply restarting the arduino does not clear the text; on restart, code/data is sent from the lcd library is to the lcd chip logic to clear the display.

As career troubleshooter, I analyze problems in small bits. I would create a simple sketch to print "hello", triple check the pin assignments and physical terminations. Since you are not even receiving garbage, there appears to be a problem with the R/W pin.

Just my thoughts.

75+ Posting Member

Any chance that the fact that even test sketch does not make the encoder work on lower or upper pins,and the problem with the display,mght by a symptom of my arduino going bust

150+ Forum Groupie

Oh sure, it's possible you may have turned your arduino into a conversational paper weight. But I also know, from my own experience, rewiring and rewriting the sketch may cause undesirable results. Since it accepting the upload, it does not appear to be trashed - perhaps a blown pin, at worst. You won't know until you perform a series a troubleshooting steps totally unrelated to your pinout & sketch - this eliminates familiarity and a propensity to casually overlook items.

75+ Posting Member

Right
    So at te moment it is only encoders that do not work,switches work fine,lcd work as well sketches work ok as well.
    I tried the sketch that work before with the encoder and on that one encoder stays silent as well.
    Test sketches for encoders do not work as well even id connect the same pns that are in the sketch without making any changes on my own.

Now is there eeenything that could effect the ability of arduino to work only with the encoders????
    Maybe someone had similar case where only encodes do not work.
    Wiring os ok I checked that,encoder is ok,libraries are installed and in

25+ Posting Member

Sounds like you are getting it broken down. My career is exclusively troubleshooting as well so +1 to the all the comments regarding breaking this down into small and manageable pieces. I would move to a sketch for a single encoder and try that while hooking up a meter or preferably scope to the pins. Also- double check how they are actually hooked up- I see a lot of tutorials/diagrams online showing them hooked up as one pin to + and the other two to the signal pins. Hooking to ground and signal pins may be more correct

Maybe your encoder(s) got damaged at some point as well. Keep trying!

Cheers
    Eric