500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Tutorial Videos on Youtube

Every now and again something pop's up and you wonder why you've never seen it before.

I was doing a google for something and fell upon these ,,, they are Arduino tutorials with FSX, the "Multi" and Arduino cards.

A general overview ,,,,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSzE6hgFWCM

I found this next one very interesting ,, it deals with servos and a library called "VarSpeedServo" which can control the speed of servos when it moves ,,, ideal for what we do with servos.
    The tutorial ,,,,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdeHEoyHUK8

The library download ,,,
    https://github.com/netlabtoolkit/VarSpeedServo
    (Download button for the zip is on the right of the page.)
    One day I'll have a play with it.

Thanks to Eric for these videos ,, there's a lot of them so have a dig in his listing on Youtube.

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

2. Thanks WhiteStar01 thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Re: Tutorial Videos on Youtube

Hey Jim,

I found your software by chance a few months ago and it was the missing link I had been in search of for quite some time! I wanted to do something to spread the word and make people aware of your program- and how easy it can be to now link Arduino to the SIM.

I'm very happy you found something of value in them! I stumbled on to the variable speed library because my slip/skid indicator servo jumped and stuttered quite bad- it turned out I just had to increase the rate at which Link2FS sends the values Problem solved but thought it could be a handy tool for someone.

I posted a bunch of videos on the interfacing- the most recent will publish in a couple hours showing my Lear 45 cabin pressure panel working like the real thing with a Nokia 5110 LCD display and 2 encoders- without your software- I would not have been able to accomplish this. I am in your debt

Cheers!
    Eric

Thanks Eric ,,, great it worked out for you.

Your tutorials are great and very informative ,, of course I'm a wee bit biased as it's my software installed but just the same ,, they really show how easy it is to make very functional panels for next to nothing.

One thing that surprised me was there are a number of pit builders out there using the Arduino for "odd-ball" stuff in their pits even tho the main stuff is being done with the common commercial interfaces ,,, mainly because it's easy to do with my software I suppose.

Your making a nice looking unit there Eric ,, keep at it and update us as you go.

Thanks and 73's de Jim

25+ Posting Member

Hey Jim- It's okay to be biased You and others should be proud of this. It opens so many doors.

Link2fs opens up a HUGE number of doors. I've really been trying to explain this to a few people who are "on the fence" so to speak. We can now use basic FS data and manipulate it in ANY way we wish (there is virtually no limit with code) then affect any output in any way we wish as well. It is truly awesome.

If I could be so bold- is there a possibility someday we could have more Simconnect signals- such as maybe a way to just enable "blank" channels in Link2FS and fill in the Simconnect name ourselves? There are a few I'd like to get but don't want to be a pain :P

Again thank you!

Cheers and 73's
    Eric

Good stuff Eric ,,, it's funny how things grow tho ,,, The original old "inOut" started off with only a few extractions (about 30) but rapidly grew till it outsized itself and ended up a bit of a mess.

Extra in or out's has always been on my mind and I have actually dabbled in FSUIPC with it, the theory being to use one of the extra pages to allow a "drop in" of what they wanted ,,,, or just make a new one altogether using FSUIPC.
    Both of the above would aid the Guys that use add-on's that run their own "systems".

There are limitations with the Arduino tho ,, they wont replace expensive interfacing systems provided by the commercial outlets that are capable of doing a complete cockpit although the 3 Arduino's will give them a **** of a fright.
    The card itself is not the problem ,, it's the bottleneck of the serial interface although that may change with having a network interface.
    There's actually networking capabilities already in the Multi but I haven't bought it out yet.

I'd be interested to know what extractions your talking about ????

So I suppose Eric ,, it's yes and no at this stage ,,, time will tell,, but summer's here now and it's "fun in the sun".

Cheers and 73's de Jim
    Last edited by Jim NZ; 12-16-2013 at 12:45 AM.

25+ Posting Member

Hey Jim.

For sure I wouldn't really choose Arduino for the entire simulator but for some items your program is priceless. Here is the Lear 45 cabin pressure panel using your program. Link2FS allowed me to accurately simulate the real thing by capping the change rates (both negative and positive) as well as capping the cabin altitude at 8000- as well as simulating the delta pressure on the cabin using valid FSX data- I would not have been able to do this without your program (or alot of work with LUA or SIOC maybe- which could have taken me months to figure out)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAQz...svL_t&index=63

I forget the remaining signals I needed right now so I'll go dig through my notes- but if you are considering FSUIPC someday that is FANTASTIC! There are a bunch of guys like me with full Lear 45 cockpits and the software that operates the display units, RMUs, etc has a bunch of custom FSUIPC offsets. If we could use these- that would be amazing. Basically if you went to using FSUIPC it would almost obsolete the need to the simconnect ones altogether Of note- those of us using the Lear will need to do alot of custom logic due to the fact that the default aircraft is missing much of the things needed to simulate systems- Arduino makes this easily possible.

Anyhow thanks again for all your work on this. Your software really lets people get into an area where we can mix flight simulator with our own code to develop a truly dynamic SIM.

Enjoy your summer!

Cheers

Eric

Yes I've seen that video Eric and it's a real nice looking unit ,, to start with I wondered what it was all about and then the penny dropped. (I fly low and slow )

Now talking about Arduino's ,, if anyone could build a complete high class cockpit with them it would be you ,,, your skill's are amazing with all the things you've made ,,, I take my hat off to you.

As we said tho ,, there is the problem with add-on's ,,, while Pete is incorporating them into his FSUIPC for some things simconnect is being left out ,, although, just for the record ,, in FSX ,, Pete actually use's simconnect for a lot of the basic stuff ,, he does a great job.

OK we'll leave it at that and see what happens.

Cheers & 73's de Jim