Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 7 segment led displays and my Radio Box

10+ Posting Member

Re: 7 segment led displays and my Radio Box

Quote Originally Posted by Fess_ter View Post
    m_mota,
    There was an error in my remarks on the pins that the Max7219 connect to.
    Pins 10, 11, and 12.
    I corrected the remarks and re-uploaded the zip.
    You can get it from my first post at the top of this thread.

~Fess

Hi Fess,

I got the .ino file from your zip file but I canīt find the electrical schematic showing how you connect the displays, rotary encoders and the other components to the Arduino board. Could you share this one ?

Thank you so much

75+ Posting Member

looking before thats tread how max connect, scl and sda connect board and power come out ewery display +,-. thats all. u can chain displays but power need take own transformer outside and connect to ewery display one to one. and code you can read rotary and encoder were adding. i not have board and document thats near not can say what pin come were to board. but rotary come ewery switch input and common ground, (i remember) and encoder left input and right input to board and center ground.
    same buttons.
    wery simple all.

10+ Posting Member

Hi Guys,

I ordered some displays from China and still waiting for delivery. I was studying the .ino code but I couldn't understand in which pins you're connecting the rotary encoders and the switch encoder. Are you connecting the switch encoder in the pins A1, A2, A3, A4 and A5 ??

Thank you so much

75+ Posting Member

i not have here my project documents but thats treath before have help fess help me at treath starting. and code then read you see many what connect were. encoder see at code, bush button i remember see at code.im not home at finland now no documents im thailand now

150+ Forum Groupie

m_mota,
    Yes, the Rotary Switch is connected to A1 thru A5.
    Up in the void setup(), it is labeled in the remarks.

~Fess
    I will only ever be, half the Geek that I wished I was.
    TheGeekForge.Com

10+ Posting Member

Thank you Fess,

Just to confirm. I'm sorry for the questions but I'm not so familiarized with Arduino.
    What about the rotary encoders ? Which pins ?

Thank you so much

150+ Forum Groupie

m_mota,

I use a dual concentric rotary encoder that has a push button switch.
    Each encoder uses 2 pins.
    Encoder 1 is on pins 2 and 3.
    Encoder 2 is on pins 4 and 5.

My code is long and a little complex because it uses the one Dual Encoder to control many things, depending on where the Mode Switch (Rotary Switch) is set.
    This was also my first big project with Arduino and link2fs and I could make things work but didn't know the "why". I was relying a lot on Jim's examples and building from that. There is a lot of rinse repeat.

If this is your first go with Arduino you might want to try and learn a little before diving in full tilt.

It would be far easier to code a radio stack with many displays and multiple single encoders than what I did with this multi-function radio.

Not to mention, after building this and flying with it, I find that the design is lacking.
    Switching back and forth between functions is distraction from the simulation experience.
    Dialing radios should be a more fluid event.

The main reason I came up with the "shared" encoder design is because of the high cost of the Elma Dual Encoders.
    What I, and others, have realised is that a single push button encoder can do the job of a Dual Concentric Encoder at a greatly reduced monetary cost. Fewer pins are used as well.

Trying to replicate what other people have done by throwing together some hardware and just plugging in their software will probably not work. You will likely need to make some modification to hardware and/or code.

That being said, "...you need to learn, why things work on a Star Ship, Mr. Savik".

~Fess
    TheGeekForge.Com

10+ Posting Member

Thank you so much for your attention, patience and explanation. I have been studied a little bit more about your code and found the information about the encoders and where they were connected. I already tried some other projects to learn about Arduino, including the Jim's demos and I think I'm ready to build my own radio stack using your code as a base for my project with some modifications to be more realistic.

Thanks again and take care

Mauricio

10+ Posting Member

Hi Fess,

How are you doing ?
    I built a prototipe using your code and HW. Everything is working well but I noticed that the frequencies in the displays are different from the FSX. Example:

FSX Display
    127.67 127.06
    122.55 122.05
    110.60 110.06
    116.80 116.08

This example is about Com1 Active / Com1 Standby / NAV 1 Active / NAV 1 Standby but the same thing is happening with Com2 radio.
    Do you have any idea about that ?

Thank you so much

150+ Forum Groupie

m,

Did you make any modifications to the code?

~Fess
    TheGeekForge.Com

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast