Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: 7 segment led displays and my Radio Box

Quote Originally Posted by kpmerrill View Post
    Hello I am new to this forum. I have Arduino UNO. Do you have documents to help me start a radio box project?Thanks,Keith
    Keith,
    You have an Arduino, download the link2fs_multi program from Jim's site. Get the link2fs_multi thats correct for your sim, FS2004 or FSX.

In the link2fs_multi zip there are sample arduino sketches to experiment with.

First, before you try any sketch, load the link2fs_multi program with Flight sim.
    Under the "SimConnect Inputs" tab, in link2fs_multi, there are commands that you can click on and then send to the Flight sim.
    Try changing some radio frequencies this way to make sure link2fs_multi works with your Flight sim.

Next review some or all of the sample sketches to learn how to send commands from Arduino to link2fs_multi (which will then send it to the Flightsim).
    Try to change something.
    Wire up a simple switch that changes a Com or Nav frequency up for every push of the button.

Once you achieve the above, then the door opens to you.
    I will only ever be, half the Geek that I wished I was.
    TheGeekForge.Com

150+ Forum Groupie

Keith,
    links2fs_multi is just to interface Flightsim with Arduino like a middle man.

FSX <--> link2fs_multi <--> Arduino

Link2fs_multi will not remap the joystick.
    That is unless your Joystick is custom made with an Arduino in its heart.
    TheGeekForge.Com

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

This project thread is getting full of unrelated postings and stuff that is not even related to what the thread is about.

Fester has given us pictures of his project as well as his code ,, plus he is interacting with people to help them build the same and my huge thanks go out to him for doing so.

Let's keep the thread on the subject.

I have today deleted all 14 of the postings that are not related to the subject or are just babble that makes it difficult for some-one else to research the threads subject.

If above offends some-one ,,, then "Tough luck"

Keith ,, Glad you got it sorted ,, any more basic help, just have a dig around the forum, the Arduino site, my site or read the documentation supplied with my program or if you get stumped ,, start another thread.

Matti ,,, any more posting (anywhere) that don't make sense to me ,,, I will just delete.
    We've been thru this before.

No I didn't wake up in a bad mood this morning ,,, it's just that Festers project thread will loose it's usefulness for other people researching if it get's full of "other stuff".

Have a good day ,,, Jim
    Last edited by Jim NZ; 03-01-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

4. Thanks Fess_ter thanked for this post
    Likes Fess_ter liked this post
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

hi there
    this is great i love your work and the code looks great to use all the functions on the autopilot. i have downloaded the code
    but i need help on a drawing how to connect this all together. i have the arduino boards and so on. it is possible to give me a drawing or fzz of your breadboard and how you connect all together on there. your help is much appreciated.
    andre akutzner@telkomsa.net

Great tutorial and a great diy idea. I just got my 7 segment displays and have a question about using multiple boards. I can get the first board to work as I want but when I add a second all I get is the whole 7 segments on the board lighting up. As can be seen in this picture.
    max7219_1.jpg
    Did you have an issue when connecting multiple boards? I actually started coding before looking at your example and ended up with a very similar way of initializing the boards. I even replaced the code parts for initializing from your example with the same results.

On another note any chance of link2fs supporting prepar3d? I am starting to code to somewhat replicate what link2fs does in a very limited fashion but it would be a whole lot simpler and give more options if I could use Jim's amazing program. I had used link2fs when I was testing fsx with my tm1638 boards and it was really quick to get going but after a hdd crash I decided to just focus on prepar3d especially after how well version 2.2 performs.

7. Thanks tomahawk66 thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by mulchekp View Post
    Great tutorial and a great diy idea. I just got my 7 segment displays and have a question about using multiple boards. I can get the first board to work as I want but when I add a second all I get is the whole 7 segments on the board lighting up. As can be seen in this picture.

Did you have an issue when connecting multiple boards? I actually started coding before looking at your example and ended up with a very similar way of initializing the boards.
    1) Double check your board connections.
    2) Each board needs its own +5V supply connection, ie. Don't chain the the power. (If you chain the power, it gets cut by a diode in each board.)
    3) If that doesn't fix the issue, swap the boards to see if the second one is bad.
    TheGeekForge.Com

9. Thanks tomahawk66 thanked for this post
    Likes tomahawk66 liked this post
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi Fess_ter

I had been battling for 3 weeks to get my 3 digit 7 segment module to display autopilot heading. I downloaded your code yesterday and made a few "minor" changes and now it's working 100%.

Thanks a million

11. Thanks Fess_ter thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by John Mapstone View Post
    Hi Fess_ter

I had been battling for 3 weeks to get my 3 digit 7 segment module to display autopilot heading. I downloaded your code yesterday and made a few "minor" changes and now it's working 100%.

Thanks a million
    Good to hear!

I have been away for a bit but I'm starting back in on my MCP.
    I also want to build a new Radio Stack.
    TheGeekForge.Com

25+ Posting Member

Hi Fess_ter,

Thank you for your amazing code and for your photographs and tips, which I have been devouring. I am trying to use an Arduino Mega 2560 with the same MAX7219-driven 8-digit 7-segment LEDs, to display autopilot parameters, right now for the default FSX B737, but ultimately for the PMDG 737 NGX.

Like mulchekp I had no problem attaching 1 display module, but experienced similar issues when attempting to cascade more. But after 2 days of experimentation I was finally successful in cascading 2, 3 and 4 display modules. This is what I found:

(0) Use a regulated 5V dc supply for the external power source if possible
    (1) for 1 display: take VCC and GND from external source if possible, DIN, CS and CLK from Arduino pins as programmed
    (2) for 2 displays in series: take VCC and GND for first display from external source, but for second display take VCC and GND from 5V and GND pins on Arduino Mega. DIN, CS and CLK are daisy-chained to first DOUT, LOAD and CLK
    (3) for 3 displays in series: take VCC and GND for first display from external source, for second display take VCC and GND from output side of first display, for third display take VCC from 5V pin on Arduino Mega and GND from external source. Daisy-chain the others.
    (4) for 4 displays in series: take VCC and GND for first display from external source, for second display take VCC and GND from output side of first display, for third display take VCC and GND from output of second, and for fourth display take VCC from 5V pin on Arduino Mega but GND from external source. Daisy-chain the others.

Any other connection strategy results (in my case) in blank displays and/or permanently bright displays and/or overheating MAX7219 chips.

I thought I would share my experience in case it can be of help to anyone else who is attempting this and finding it is not quite as one expects.

Thanks,

Chakko.
    Attached Images Attached Images

150+ Forum Groupie

Tomahawk66,
    Another way to maybe fix your issue is to use a 9 volt supply directly to the Arduino Mega.
    Sometimes the 5 volt from USB isn't enough to do everything.
    "They" say the arduino can handle 12 volt, but why heat it up is it can work on 9 volts.

Anyway, if your Arduino is supplied with 9 volt and you run the 5 volt and ground from the Arduino to your breadboard, then wire each Display's (left side) 5 volt and ground to the breadboard, it should work. That is, if there hasn't been a production change...

A number of places online, sell arduino compatible 9 volt "wall wart" power supplies.

~Fess
    TheGeekForge.Com

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast