25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Wired or Wireless Network

Hello all,

I have a few Xp machines that I am going to network together for the graphics. I have them all wireless now. Would the setup work better/faster with a wire/switch setup?

Regards,

Christopher
    Christopher

Grumman A-6 Intruder Cockpit Builder

300+ Forum Addict

Re: Wired or Wireless Network

Hi Chris,

Since you didn't mention which program(s) you're going to use for the Win XP PCs and the graphics, I will just base my answers off the networks in general. First, assuming the wireless devices in the PCs are seperate from what the actual NIC cards would (will) be for the wired side, do you have the wired NIC cards already in the PCs along with wireless devices or do you still have to add them in? If you have them already, do you know what the wired NIC cards speeds are...10/100 or 10/100/1000?

Next, what type of wireless devices are in use within the PCs and what is your wireless broadcast device type? What are the speeds of the wirless devices. What format are they...2.4Ghz or 5Ghz; n,g, or what? Also, where do you live...in an apartment or house...country or city...how close are your neighbors?

Finally, here is the reason for the questions. With wireless you want to match the types and speeds, but you also do not want interference from a cordless phones or any other item device on 2.4Ghz (a lot electronics work on that freq). Plus, if you have other people around you (means more devices), they could cause problems, and mostly the problems all stem from interference; thus, will the programs you're going to use for the graphics have issues with dropouts from that interference? On the wired side, you would get more dedicated speed of course and no dropouts; however, you will need a switch unit that has at least the ability to retain the MAC addresses, so it's better if you use a dedicated or managed switch, but if not dedicated, at least purchase a nicer (not cheap) non-dedicated/managed switch unit, and make sure you avoid anything that says the word "hub"...you want a switch.

Best Regards,

John

25+ Posting Member

Thank you John,

My main goal is to use wideview for the sim graphics. I need as many screens going as possible for gauges (on screens behind panels) and an outside view. I originally planned on using a wired network. For right now I have all three machines with wireless adapters to get Xp updated due to the machines being in storage. The wired route seems the better way to go. I live out in the country; no one out here but us. We get wireless from a repeater a few miles away. So, for all my machines running Xp, using a switch and not a hub... what NIC cards (assuming they all need to be the same) would be sufficient in speed and ease of networking?
    Christopher

25+ Posting Member

Hi Christopher!

I definetly recommend a wired network with switch (not hub) if you are going to use Wideview! As for speed you don't need 1000, the Wideview packets are small and 100 is more than enough. You don't need the latest NIC's either, even old devices based on Realtek 8139D -chips will do. If possible make a dedicated network for Wideview.

Regards,

Henri

25+ Posting Member

This is great guys, Thank you!

I have not purchased wideview yet, that will be my next purchase. I could not find much (other than the forum that you must own the product to join) concerning the details or scope of the program. I hope to pick it up soon so I can get to it. As far as the dedicated network, will the wideview information address this? I am building a carrier based craft, so the only add-on programs I plan on running is the Big E carriers, arrestor cables, my Razbam Intruder and possibly some weather.
    Christopher

25+ Posting Member

Check the Wideview website for information. You can download the program and use it in trial mode before you decide to purchase. This way you will get the documentation. Read it carefully, it's very well written and contains every bit of information you need. Keep in mind though that many (including myself) have tripped setting up Wideview for the first time.
    I use a semi-dedicated network for Wideview and it works fine. With semi-dedicated I mean a "simulator dedicated network". I use WideFS and Wideview on the same network without any problems.

Regards,
    Henri

25+ Posting Member

I bought the key today and gave it a go. Created a wired network dedicated for the flightsim and it works. I have to go through the manual and set it up properly. Right now there is a couple minute lag between server and client. Hopefully it will work with the machines that I have.
    Christopher