Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing I want to start with a shell, good idea?

Hello everyone, im new here and i am only 14 years old, i have been looking to build a 737NG for about a year now and have been researching the whole thing, and i have come to the conclusion that building a shell should be the first step. I have seem many builders who build all the framework of the pit and then stick thin plywood around the whole thing, the only problem is, i cant seem to find measurements of the ribs and framework, does anyone know where i can find these? or can someone measure their own pit? thanks in advance

2. Thanks 50fighterfan thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Re: I want to start with a shell, good idea?

Well, it depends on how much space you have available. Also, consider how long you plan to live with your folks. Some simpit projects have stretched out over years. If yours takes 10 years, then you will be 24. Are you still planning to be living at home then?

When you move out on your own, what happens to the cockpit?

George
    I'm beginning to think that my whole purpose in this life is to serve as a waring to others!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

You seem to be running before you can walk.

What sim equipment have you got? I ask this because a lot depends on if you can build an MIP first, but you need some basic gear first to be able to build the MIP. That MIP will then give you a guide on how you want to build round it to form an enclosure. But if you haven't got anything to enclose then whats the point in building the enclosure in the first place, because it will make everything harder to build inside it.....

Sorry if this sounds blunt, but its just how I see it.... Wouldnt want you to waste your money or time, when you can be buildling up the MIP outwards first and get simming that way.... (which I recommend).....

Cheers

10+ Posting Member

Well im not exactly sure how long im still gonna stay with my parents but when i finish year 12 i want to try and get into a pilot training program from the regional airline in aust called REX. With what sim equipment i have for now what i have is a main fsx computer, a laptop running all the gauges on two monitors, joystick and a projector and bacically why i want the shell done first is then i can adjust everything to fit in there. I seem to have found some kind of plans for the shell that seem simple enough do they look alright to you guys? http://www.simujabs.com/index.php/co...lans-for-b-737

75+ Posting Member

Go to this web site and download PDF measurements:

http://www.markuspilot.com/Introduction.html

25+ Posting Member

Well, your plan seems sound, but I would like to offer some of my own experience. I started building my first sim when I was 13, just a generic 737-style cockpit. I'm now a senior in high school, and am just starting to build a simple 767 shell, only after I developed a working throttle, mcp, gear lever/indicator, overhead, and mip.

I would recommend not starting out with the shell, simply because it is both restrictive and not operational (you can't fly a shell). I would instead start out with the basic flight controls such as the yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant. Fly with these for a while to determine if you really want to stick with the aircraft you are trying. If you like it, move on to the rest of the controls, such as the mcp, radios, gear, etc. That way, you can still fly your in progress cockpit.

It's still your prerogative, and there will be many people here who will help you either way. Just my own thoughts.

Good luck!

Steve

I agree with Steve, that it is better to start with other parts... Not for your age (I was 12 when i started all this..) but because experience learned me it is always best to build inside-out. How accurate you might build, you never can be sure you won't leave a part just a half mm to big.. and when that happens, it won't fit in your enclose anymore. Best way i.m.o is to start with the MIP, throttle, pedestal panels, yoke etc., then build the shell around it. Same thing for the pedestal, first make the panels, then build the pedestal bay around it so you are sure it will all fit together. If you start small it also prevents you from making big spendings to then discover this is not what you want... (However I don't think you will discover that )

In either way, good luck!

Daniël

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

My suggestion -- start with the parts you use frequently in the cockpit so you are always flying in your sim and don't get bored (unless all you want to do is build!)

I started with the 737 throttle, then the MCP+EFIS, then yoke and rudder pedals, and have now received my pedestal with the com, nav, adf, and TCAS/transponder. Its looking more like a 737 everyday.

I don't know if I should go for the MIP next (expensive) or projectors. The other thing you need to decide is if you want a full MIP or a 2/3 MIP -- flyengravity and FDS cater to those needs.

I am also terrible with wiring and so therefore will either go with the CP Flight wired panels, or the FDS harness solution.

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by OmniAtlas View Post
    My suggestion -- start with the parts you use frequently in the cockpit so you are always flying in your sim and don't get bored (unless all you want to do is build!)

I started with the 737 throttle, then the MCP+EFIS, then yoke and rudder pedals, and have now received my pedestal with the com, nav, adf, and TCAS/transponder. Its looking more like a 737 everyday.

I don't know if I should go for the MIP next (expensive) or projectors. The other thing you need to decide is if you want a full MIP or a 2/3 MIP -- flyengravity and FDS cater to those needs.

I am also terrible with wiring and so therefore will either go with the CP Flight wired panels, or the FDS harness solution.
    It says you are in australia? what city do you live in? Also i really do want to just build, im planing to make the whole shell from wood so it is easily adjusted, i also am pretty good with electronics and i might just make a MIP from MDF and slowly add all the monitors, instuments, switches etc.

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by GPreddy View Post
    Well, your plan seems sound, but I would like to offer some of my own experience. I started building my first sim when I was 13, just a generic 737-style cockpit. I'm now a senior in high school, and am just starting to build a simple 767 shell, only after I developed a working throttle, mcp, gear lever/indicator, overhead, and mip.

I would recommend not starting out with the shell, simply because it is both restrictive and not operational (you can't fly a shell). I would instead start out with the basic flight controls such as the yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant. Fly with these for a while to determine if you really want to stick with the aircraft you are trying. If you like it, move on to the rest of the controls, such as the mcp, radios, gear, etc. That way, you can still fly your in progress cockpit.

It's still your prerogative, and there will be many people here who will help you either way. Just my own thoughts.

Good luck!

Steve
    Well, the reason i would like to build a shell first is because i can get all the wood for it cheap, i have the space for it, and it would greatly help if i can see how everything should fit in. Also i can still use the shell a bit even if i dont have all the other hardware, for now, i have a projector, jostick, a few spare monitors and a few good computers so i could still fly in it, but with the joystick it would be more like a Scarebus 737

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast