Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Another dumb question

Hi there,
    I'm just wondering if, by using many computers networked together to run a cockpit, the computers can be lower spec?
    My thinking is that by only doing a smaller part of the work they don't have to be newer, high spec machines and can be older, lower spec and therefore cheaper!
    Or maybe it doesn't work like that.....
    Hope this makes sense.
    Ian

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

Re: Another dumb question

Hello Ian.......
    Well the answer to that is exactly what you actually want to run on each machine. Your main sim machine for visuals (especially if you are using payware scenery and outside weather generation) will need to be of a reasonable spec to give you a 'fluid' depiction of what you see out of the window.
    You can run your add ons like Active Sky, Squawkbox etc on a networked machine which does not need to be anything spectacular (in fact my 'services' PC is a low spec Pentium machine and does the job perfectly well).
    So, in a nutshell, you need to think about what you want from each PC and go from there.
    Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but without knowing exactly what you are thinking, it's difficult to comment.
    Regards and Good Luck

Ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

3. Thanks Geremy Britton thanked for this post

Re: Another dumb question

Hi Ian,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I guess it makes sense that the visuals would need to be run on a higher spec machine as they're the most demanding part I'd imagine and it's no fun if you're stuttering along!
    I'm glad it's possible to utilise older machines as they're pretty easy to pick up on ebay etc, presumably it's a case of 'the more the merrier' then the workload is shared out more?
    At the moment I'm just getting my head around the concepts of cockpit building before I start any work, but it's the computer side of things that scare me most! I'm hoping to build an A320 and use FS9 or if possible X-Plane 10.
    Cheers,
    Ian

hi just to share some info im running 7 computers 4 of them have eyefinity other 3 have nvidia 2 with tripplehead to go the dual or tripplehead to go is not all that good with ati cards better with a good nvidia such a 580 or 680 they can run 2 tripple heads for a total of 6 displays but its lot slower then eyefinity one of my machines has a 6970 amd on a I7 12 gig.memory i can run fsx at full graphics with lot of scenery addons and still get 25-30 fps i cant do that with th2g its an investment azs you will need a goos psu im running 800 watt i would not go back to the th2g for graphics and you can still run wideview for the ultimate experience also to make additional views popup windows its just kills you computer performance badly i hope this helps.