10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Cool Multi Radio Panel Project - Fixed - quarter cycle rotary encoders

Hi Everyone, I am getting a little frustrated . I have built the project twice and I get no display on the LCD screen at all. Does anyone one know any common issues, from building the project? Assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you,.
    Last edited by icarus172; 10-16-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: to make post more useful

Re: Multi Radio Panel Project - help

I have this problem almost every time I connect a LCD.
    And each time it has been proven that I have connected LCD to the Arduino pin's in the wrong order.
    To rule out errors in the control of the LCD, start with a simple code, like eg. "Hello World!"
    This way you excludes error's in connections, and failures in LCD.
    Unless you post the code, it is difficult for anyone to be able to tell, if you have errors in your code!
    Life was hard, but then came Windows 7.
    Now we can fly! --------
    --------

3. Thanks icarus172 thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

I think I may know what the problem is ,,, some LCD's require a 5 volt feed to them to illuminate the LCD so you can see the characters.
    It's called the backlight and on some, without it going ,, the LCD show's nothing.

The wiring diagram I gave was to suit LCD's that don't need or use the backlight LED.

If the LCD screen your using requires the backlight then you need to connect 2 more wires.
    These 2 wires connect to the right most terminals of the LCD as presented in my pictures.

What I have done is update all that in my webpage and also the download so pop back and download the newer one.
    (You may have to hit refresh to see the new diagrams)

Basically everything looks the same except for those 2 wires connected to the right hand side of the LCD ,, which connect to 0 and 5 volts.

But there again ,,, this may not be your problem ???
    Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

5. Thanks icarus172 thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Thanks BuzziBi and Jim, I had tried that as it was a back lit screen and couldn't see anything. Long story short, I can finally read the screen, it was a contrast issue. Now I have an annoying issue with the project only sending info to Pins 12, A0, A1. 12=12, A0=18 (not 14), A1=19 (not 15) and of course the next number isn't 20 for A2. I have had a play with the sketch and I can only get three out puts on those pins no mater what I try. And... the digital encoder nob doesn't change anything. It has become an interesting puzzle.

10+ Posting Member

Ok, I changed boards and I am using a screw in shield. I now get all the selections when I switch to each one. The Link2FS is sending and receiving data. But... the rotary encoder doesn't change the frequencies up or down. I have read the info about rotary encoders and wired it as per the diagram. The way that I interpret the wiring is, pins 8 and 9 to the side with 2 terminals, the 3 terminal side is soldered together with a wire going to ground and pin10 then ground to 11 with a push button??

10+ Posting Member

Cool Re: Multi Radio Panel Project - Fixed - quarter cycle rotary encoders

Ok got it.... I have a 20 position 1/4 cycle rotary encoder, one of the newer ones. What I have done is change the wiring to it, and now everything works. On the 3 pin side of the rotary encoder I have GND in the middle then 8 and 9 from the project to the two outside pins 8, GND , 9. On the side with two pins I have GND , 10. The separate push button is still GND, 11.
    Last edited by icarus172; 10-16-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Is more related to previous posts