Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Extractions

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

GPS Extractions

Hi, Are the GPS data being extracted or did I miss them?

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: GPS Extractions

Everything it extracts can be viewed in the pictures on my site ,,, nothing pops to mind tho except the planes latitude, longitude speed etc.
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Hi, thanks for the reply. Re-reading my question, I now see how cryptic my question was. Funny, it was clear in my head when I was typing.. lol. I wanted to know how to send FSX the button and knobs of the GPS. I figured it out.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level Bushman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpmaha View Post
    . I wanted to know how to send FSX the button and knobs of the GPS. I figured it out.
    I know this threads a bit old, but can someone tell me where I can find more info about controlling the GPS with Link2FS? It doesn't appear that there are any Simconnect inputs for GPS controls.

Craig

150+ Forum Groupie

Welcome to the forum.

You control the GPS with the inputs, not extractions. What aircraft? and what GPS are you using?

For gen av aircraft, I have a Lenovo 7" tablet running as a monitor, clipped to the yoke. I use touch screen for the buttons and push the encoder pushbutton to route 'Com2' encoder output to top bar 'Simconnect Inputs, and push again to return to 'Com2' output.

Hugh
    ---CYXD ----- TWR --- GND ------ Closed
    ILS-- NDB -- 119.1 -- 121.9 ---- 11/2013

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level Bushman1's Avatar

This is to send commands from my panel to FSX. Currently l I'm able to control some instruments, so I know the connection is working. The problem was with the GPS "Zoom in/out" function. I realized I couldn't do this with Simconnect inputs. Instead I assigned a key combo in FSX to GPS Zoom In and another one to GPS Zoom Out. In the sketch, I edited the code to assign certain pins as keys. Then I used key inputs in Link2FS to create the key combo required for the zoom functions.

This might be very basic stuff for a lot of cockpit builders, but for me it was an ah-ha moment. Now I just need to brush up on my Arduino coding skills.

Right now I am building a universal/generic cockpit that doubles as a productivity desk. At some point I may make a full blown simpit. I am a fan of high-wing airplanes since I generally fly VFR. My current favorite plane to fly is the Maule. I have yet to master that darn tailwheel....

The encoder pushbutton touchscreen method seems like a good way to control the sim. Can you point me to where I can learn more about how to do this? Does the touchscreen basically work like a mouse command?

150+ Forum Groupie

Have you tried top row SimConnect Inputs 'G10' and 'G11' commands?

Your keyboard and 'Keys' solution is a great alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkW7A7MeCgk will give you some idea of the procedure. Many different ways to do this.

Any name brand will do but the manufacture must publish an ADB Windows driver for tablet. Ran into a wall trying to get a 10" generic tablet to work even though YouTube video claimed to have a driver. Probably my inability to mess with Windows' config files.

A 7" screen format limits you to an older model GPS. An 8" 4x3 format would be better.

Hugh

I'm not sure what you mean by "top row" SimConnect inputs. I'm using Link2FS Multi FSX Beta 5h. There are no G codes in my Simconnect Inputs (see image). I can only find A through F inputs.

So far the keys method has been working well. I still haven't figured out how to press and hold CLR to return to the main screen, but there are many things I haven't tried yet.

Thanks for the link regarding using a tablet for input. I'm going to look into that.

Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images

150+ Forum Groupie

That's the correct tab. Easier to say than SimConnect Inputs with the capital 'C'.

Version v6f goes up to J25.

Hugh

10. Thanks Bushman1 thanked for this post
    Likes Bushman1 liked this post

Thank you! I avoided the "expert" link2fs since I am very new to cockpit building. Looks like all the simconnect codes I need are in v6f. Two questions:

Is there a limit to the number of SimConnect inputs you can assign? Or is it just limited by the Arduino board's available pins?
    Is there anything particularly tricky about the expert version that would make it difficult for a novice to use? (compared to v5h)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast