Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Some Electrical Assistance please

I'm plagued with crappy wiring in my house here in Germany so I'm relooking how my power is distributed. I'm running four systems (FS, TQ, and External views; MIP and Overhead; Avionics and Pedestal; Instructor Station and EFB) and an additional three PSUs that power my MIP, my Overhead, and my Pedestal. I'm constantly popping my breaker, even though it is a dedicated 4500 Watt line from the box.

I've been looking at the unused wattage in each of those secondary PCs and I've decided to run a 5/12VDC supply line out the back of each of those PC PSUs to breakout boards where I can connect lighting, panels, and other 5 and 12VDC items that are currently being powered by additional PSUs.

I printed these out on my 3D printer and I'm wondering if someone can tell me what gauge or size wire I would need for jumping each of the poles on the breakout board. I have a feeling the current wire I have may be too thin and potentially a shorting and fire hazard. Again, only 5VDC and 12VDC from ATX PSU's.

Thanks!

Warren

75+ Posting Member

Re: Some Electrical Assistance please

It's going to depend on how long each jumper wire is and how much current it will carry. If they are only a few centimeters long, I'd use 18 gauge stranded. Connect a board that has the highest usage and feel if the 18 gauge wire gets hot.
    Also you might want to check your home wiring. If you are popping breakers on a 4500 watt line that seems wrong. At 220 volts that's 20 amps which should be plenty. I run 6 PCs, 5 monitors, motorized throttle, full overhead, MIP, MCP, Pedestal all on 15 amps.

Thanks David. I'm popping the breaker at initial start up. I've tried to spread the load out across multiple switched surge protectors, but it still pops most times. I am going to go ahead and move some of the PC load to another circuit. I still want to eliminate some PSUs though.

The wiring is flaky in the building. I go through lightbulbs (proper wattage) like crazy in the winter (I assume it is because the boiler and heating is running), and my front steps light goes on and off randomly (as does the street light right in front of my house). None of it is sim related as it did this before I put my sim together. The electrician says everything is fine. who knows maybe the house is haunted.

I'll use your suggestions to check out the jumper size.
    Warren

Thanks Ned. Working through it now. 18 Gauge seems to do the trick.