Thread: Saitek throttle

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Saitek throttle

Hi all,

I have a throttle that came with the yoke from Saitek. I no longer use the yoke, went to joy stick (Airbus) I also have the throttle that uses the USB connection.

My question is, the connection on the yoke throttle has an (I think) 6 pin round connector. What I want to do is convert it to a USB connection so I can use both throttles. The round connector has more wires than the USB does. When I opened the covers, I wasn't sure what wires to splice together.

Does anyone know how to convert the round connection to a USB connection and what wires to use, to do so?

Thanks ahead,

Larry

75+ Posting Member

Re: Saitek throttle

The old PS1 mouse and keyboard cord had a round connector. There's a PS1 to USB adapter that might work. But be careful there's power in those wires besides the signals and if this isn't the right adapter, you might fry the throttle or worse the PC. Look on Wikipedia for wiring diagrams for the two connectors.

150+ Forum Groupie

It's a PS1 connection and you can get an adapter as stated above. There's no power in the wires as such so you're not gonna fry your computer. Just about anywhere that sells computers will sell the PS1/USB adapter.

Rob

75+ Posting Member

It's actually a PS/2 connector and there is definitely power on one of the pins. Pin 4 has 5 volts. Look at it here: PS/2 connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

150+ Forum Groupie

It will have power on one of the pins if it is connected to the Saitek Yoke. If it's an adapter to USB, where does it get it's power from? The TQ doesn't have any power on it's own. You are connecting PS2 to USB not the other way round.

Rob

75+ Posting Member

If we are wrong about the wiring on the Saitek throttle wiring and it isn't the same as a PS/2 when you plug the Saitek throttle into the PS/2 adapter and plug the USB side of the adapter into a PC there is 5 volts on the USB side of the adapter and thus on the pins of the PS/2 connector. If the throttle pins aren't PS/2 maybe the 5 volt pin is grounded or is a signal pin.

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by larglo View Post
    Hi all,

I have a throttle that came with the yoke from Saitek. I no longer use the yoke, went to joy stick (Airbus) I also have the throttle that uses the USB connection.

My question is, the connection on the yoke throttle has an (I think) 6 pin round connector. What I want to do is convert it to a USB connection so I can use both throttles. The round connector has more wires than the USB does. When I opened the covers, I wasn't sure what wires to splice together.

Does anyone know how to convert the round connection to a USB connection and what wires to use, to do so?

Thanks ahead,

Larry

In the quadrant is just potentiometers, no chip (microcontroler) to handle the pot's signal. The microcontroler is in the yoke's main board. Buy usb quadrant, it has the micro controler inside, and You can modify. Or You can connect the pots and the switces to a IO-card, or my joy ect. The problem is, You must calibrate in the microcontroler's firmware, or with external app the signals of the pots. ( if i good remember 270 degrees 25K log. pots were used, in 90 degrees useable range.)

10+ Posting Member

Thanks a lot for the info. I hope I can figure out how to use it.

Larry

150+ Forum Groupie

The quickest and cheapest way is to try a PS2 to USB adapter before buying I/O cards and rewiring everything. You don't need a microcontroller as the USB port will power the TQ, thus allowing the potentiometers to work and be calibrated through FSUIPC

Rob

10+ Posting Member

I'm a little cornfused about the #4 pin (power) when I get the PS2 TO USB adapter, do I have to cut or somehow disable the #4 pin, to prevent the 5v to get to the computer, or leave as is and connect it, or what?

Thanks,

Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast