Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Questions on real pilots/experienced simmers

Hello friends,
    I am now about to start with audio panels in our Czech DC-9 project project. I have some questions to the audio systems usage in real airliners which I dont know from flight simulator or general aviation flying. If you know something about it please take a look to our Google drawing, maybe you will be able to answer some questions there https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Please write to the Google system, I am posting this request to multiple forums so that other people see what you write.

Thank you very much for help

Pavel

Re: Questions on real pilots/experienced simmers

Pavel...have a bit of a hard time with google system...however i do have some answers for you;

The 'voice/ident' switch is used to muffle..or drown out the morse code identfier when tuning a nav-aid (vor) which has a verbal ident. An example would be the international vor in the united states. When confirming the ident on this nav-aid, you would make a 'voice' selection on the audio box and listen for the recorded message of 'INTERNATIONAL VOR'.

The radio/intph switch is just what you said it was..an alternate to the yoke switch. It is spring loaded to from the 'radio' position so you dont leave the switch 'on' when transmitting to ATC. The switch is held at 'INTPH' by a detent so you can have a live hot mic system with the co-pilot/captain.

The PA light should illuminate anytime the public address system is in use...either by the flight attendant or the flight crew. When the light is illuminated, the pilots know the PA is being used and will not select it so as to avoid stepping over the flight attendants announcements.

I might have more answers for you later

-Jim

Pavel...i put some text on that google site for you...or as much as i could before i ran out of charatctors (there must be a limit to the number of words you can type) (?)

Hi Jim, excelent help, thank you! I am not aware of any restrictions for comments in google docs, but I think it is sometimes easier to create text field into the document rather than typing to comments. Never mind, you have managed it

I have never heard about the voice identification of VORs - very interesting, and very hard to simulate

I think that the RADIO/INTPH switch is a bit confusing, I expected it to be for INTERCOM with flight attendants, not for INTERPHONE with other crew member... but ok, I will do it this way

You have answered almost all my questions, thank you! I got an MD80 maintenance manual from my friend so I hopefully can find something there...

Pavel

I also took a look at you DC9 project...very impressive!. I do have a question for you that I have been trying to find an answer and it seems you have either solved it or it is an FSX fix....

During engine start on FS9, the N1 and N2 'surge' to over 90% then settle down to there stabilized levels (you can actually here the engine surging one it lights off).

This seems to be a generic 'mircosoft thing' as all the (jet) aircraft I have ever experienced on this program have done the same thing....and as you know this is not how a jet engine starts.

Do you know of any solution to fix this problem? as your video on the DC9 site seems to show a nice slow acceleration without any surge.

Hello Jim - I believe this is somehow handled in the Coolsky DC9 addon. We did no logic modification to that, our Arduino boards just read the engine parameters from the addon and send it to the gauge. I agree that engine startup is quite nice in this addon as well as in the Fly The Maddog MD82 (which has even the hot start feature when fuel applied too early).

I was reading your other post about this problem this morning and I have no idea how to do that. If you was simulating twin engine plane I would say to steal the gauges from Maddog or Coolsky but I dont know any four engine plane with such a great engines behaviour in FS.

It is definitely possible to adjust startup parameters via Simconnect in FSX (any maybe even in FS9 via FSUIPC, just guessing), some guys on FSDeveloper forum were talking about it, but I am not an advanced programmer so I have never tried it. You could look there and ask them, they are usually very friendly and may help you with creating your own XML gauge (no graphics, just the logics) which would read the N1/N2 values and which would include some limitations after startup. FSDeveloper Community - Powered by vBulletin I have created my own EICAS XML gauges for my turboprop plane addon EV-55 (Addons :: Brodhaq Simulations) but I am just reading the FS values, no modifications to them so my turboprops behave quite like FS defaults...

Pavel

Thanks Pavel,

I believe you are correct..i think it is more an Aircraft add-on issue...that is to say that this bug has been fixed inside the modelling of the addon software. I will post the question on FSDeveloper and see what comes up.

thanks again

-jim