Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

WideView question - refreshed

I am going to use WideView for my outside views...using 3 computers. I am looking at high performance gaming computers as the clients...does anyone feel that this is a waste of money? in other words, are my frame rates going to be dependent on the master computer or the data transfer thru the network making all that extra CPU power unavailable?

Thanks

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: WideView question - refreshed

Hi,
    You still want plenty of grunt for Graphic PC's. In the case of Wideview the server if not being used for
    scenery then it can be less powerful. Although I have found that if its too weak and you start adding
    hardware it then affects how this works. My opinion is you should get as powerful pc's as you can
    afford. Remember you will be adding addons and you know how demanding these can be.
    The network does not seem to be weak link as 10meg cards are adequate.
    A good place to get answers is their Forum, some very knowledgeable people there.
    Hope this helps.

Les

Thanks Les...that does help

-Jim

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Jim,

I have been using Wideview and Widetraffic on a 5 computer setup and also use the server for scenery. I am also using Prosim737 and Orbx Scenery. What you need to keep in mind is that with Wideview, what ever you install on the server, if you are using that for scenery also, you will be installing on the clients. So with FSX running on all computers, you will find it much better if you keep the clients at least as good as the server.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

@Bernie

Thanks for the response as well...I am actually using my server computer for the instrument panel gauges and all the rest of the inputs such as yoke, rudder pedals, Open Cockpits engine gauges etc.

The clients will be dedicated to outside visual only...but in running my cost on these units they are going to be quite expensive. In the meantime I have ordered 4 hp7800 compaq computers off eBay (at less than 100 dollars apiece) so I can begin at least a general setup of my outside views.

I realize that the dc7800's (3ghz CPU speed but only a forward bus speed of 1333Mhz,) will only give me minimal graphics...but at least it is a start for a very low price....and currently i am using 1 outside front view using my very old PC with a standard VGA card...and this works pretty good on a very low scenery setting.

The computers that I am (or will be) replacing these interm units will be upwards of 1300 bucks each...maybe more...and at present the Board of Directors, (the wife), have not approved the allocation of funds for such a purchase.