Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: A320 and X-Plane Home cockpit

Here is a video of the Dresden simulator (anyone understand German?) :

Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Yes, I'm from Germany. But too bad theres nothing about the way they have built it. But it say Flightdeck Solutions on the frame, so I think they used parts from them...

500+ This must be a daytime job Nick1150's Avatar

Very interesting thread....

I am in the same position.... Sold my 737 FSX full home cockpit 6 months ago, due to the complexity and the lack of time to fly with it. Nevertheless, I am seeking for an A320 single seat trainer solution, so by all means I am all ears and given that during the last 10 years I am struggling with FSX patents, I am X-Plane all the way!

My aim is build something easier, less complex and cheaper than 737 and fly when time is available.

Any updates on this matter guys?

Thanks,

75+ Posting Member

Nick

Check out this guys project, I think its mostly DIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=tiGynDfQqwA

Jose

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

As amazing as X-Plane is, you will find it a harder process overall to interface hardware within the A320 environment to XP as you start getting into the headache of DataRefs, it also uses a different logic, XPUIPC for commands, but the coding and programming is the biggest hurdle to overcome.
    GA or the Highway!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by OmniAtlas View Post
    Here is a video of the Dresden simulator (anyone understand German?) :

They just bought a sim from FDS, not a big deal here...

If the uni students made it from scratch, then that would be something....
    GA or the Highway!

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    They just bought a sim from FDS, not a big deal here...

If the uni students made it from scratch, then that would be something....
    Actually I'm more impressed with how they interfaced an ECA FAROS MCDU with Xplane. I've been in touch with the author of QPAC and they've written software to allow this -- the rest of the buttons are just assigned through your typical datarefs.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

150+ Forum Groupie

It's no wonder you think the X-Plane API is a "headache" if you've been trying to use it via XPUIPC. Why anyone would throw that horrific kludge of an interface on top of X-Plane's highly organized, documented, elegant API is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, Pete Dawson has done amazing (and invaluable) work with FSUIPC, but it can never be a proper API. That's something Microsoft/Lockheed would have to provide (not Pete's fault at all, he most definitely rocks).

I've worked extensively with X-Plane's API (mostly via the Python interface, which is very well done), and I've also worked with FSUIPC, SIOC, FS9, FSX, and P3D. There is no comparison. On my current sim rebuild, I've got a multi-threaded Python program sending and receiving data to/from X-Plane. Each host-side TX/RX module is ethernet based (running on the X-Plane PC in my case, but it doesn't have to) and running inside its own thread, to minimize any performance hit. Years ago (during my newbie programmer days, no less), I did a smoke-system plugin that injected code into X-Plane's OpenGL loop and produced custom smoke puffs of whatever color, appearance, frequency, size, or intensity I wanted, and at multiple points. That's when I accidentally discovered that I could tilt the entire skybox/horizon in X-Plane if I wanted to. My current sim extracts pixel information from X-Plane's native WX radar, dumps it to a file, makes some modifications to the weather image, and spits out the results onto my custom radar software. I can also hook into X-Plane's native menu/windowing system if needed, which I will probably do for a kiosk-style timed flight period for public events. On my Sabreliner, I'll be "hijacking" X-Plane's autopilot cues to drive a dynamic force feedback/positioning system. I could shut off the entire flight model and provide my own if I wanted to, or vice versa (that is, use X-Plane's flight model to drive some other visual system). Ah yes, and there's no odd random crashes/freezing.

Ditch the XPUIPC mess and get comfy with the native X-Plane API. It will be a breath of fresh air.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    As amazing as X-Plane is, you will find it a harder process overall to interface hardware within the A320 environment to XP as you start getting into the headache of DataRefs, it also uses a different logic, XPUIPC for commands, but the coding and programming is the biggest hurdle to overcome.

Most (if not all) Airbus flight models for X-Plane are based on the FBW model created by QPAC. There is a new 2.10 beta out which has movable pop-ups for each display which can be activated all at once. We use the flight model to drive our small mock-up simulator (you can see a small picture here: http://www.qpac-us.com/index.php/2-u...come-to-an-end) and also on our large research simulator (http://www.dlr.de/fl/en/desktopdefau...601_read-3009/). They also made a special version for us with all displays popped up covering most of the screen. We run this version under linux on a large virtual desktop with a resolution of about 2500x2500 pixels. At this resolution each pop-up display is around 700x700 pixels and thus two can be show side by side on a 1440x900 screen. We connected 5 displays to the simulation pc: one is showing the virtual desktop and the other four are mounted in the cockpit. They are configured to "look" at a certain part of the virtual desktop and thus showing the various instruments. To my knowledge the setup is only available with a linux desktop. The outside view is generated by a second pc running a slave instance of X-Plane in fullscreen mode.
    As already said, interfacing with X-Plane is very easy and there are tons of plugins that help you connect your hardware.

Sorry, double post
    Last edited by HellG; 08-11-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Double post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast