10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

737NG Simulator Arduino output help

I want to make my sim run off the arduino and prosim.I know that when you switch a led on in prosim it sends the character you put in with a 1 or a 0 tacked on the end but am not share how to get this to the MAX7219 or shift registers of some sort.I did get it to control a led hooked directly to the Ardurino but this is not practical for a full 737 sim. If anyone has ever done this before in any way with arduino i would really appreciate if you would share with me.I basically have a simulator with no indicators at this point.I have tried to get arcom by marc but he disappeared right after he sent me an offer.Its been like 3 weeks.I assume the 7segment displays will be a pain.I do have cards for inputs thought.Any help would be great.

My sim
    Home 737 simualtor Update #5 - YouTube

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: 737NG Simulator Arduino output help

Hello Conner.

A very nice pit you have in the making! I'm headed down an almost identical path as yourself. In respect to the overhead lamp indicators, JimNZ (moderator of this forum) had brought to my attention the Centipede option which has 64 outputs (and/or inputs).

As for the 7-segment displays, I've never used the MAX7219 so I would be of no assistance. However, I can offer a few ideas for the 7-segment connections:
    (3) digit 7-segments from this site.
    Perf boards from this site. They have an assortment of boards. I used the line pattern perf for my Nav/Comm project and cut the etching in defined areas to create additional radio displays on the same board.

Hope this helps,
    James

10+ Posting Member

Thanks James.

The centipede looks like a very appealing option.Have you started working with it yet or is it just a idea so far?I'm still very new to the arduino interface but once i know how to start it off i can usually get it to work.As for the 7 segment displays i think i can run them with pokeys.I found this with the centipede Arduino....

10+ Posting Member

The centipede looks very appealing.You can use 2 with 1 arduino.Have you started using this or is it still a idea?Id like to find someone who would share there programing with me.If i do this i would use 2 pokeys in my mcp and a arduino in my overhead for inputs and outputs.Then i have 3 desktop aviator 2040 i cant get rid of.

150+ Forum Groupie

No, I haven't made the leap yet; I'm still tossing around ideas in my head. I didn't realize the limitation was two centipedes. This limitation is further cementing my original plan since there will be 112 outputs used for lamps and 149 inputs for switches.

As for help with your programming, simply pose the coding question and someone will help you along your journey. To my knowledge, there isn't a full blown arduino code for the 737NG overhead... yet. Once I complete my project, I'll place it in this forum. However, I work at a snail's pace; it may be a while

10+ Posting Member

You could use more than 1 arduino couldn't you.You might be able to multiplex from the centipede bringing your output total up alot but im not sure if this is possible.Im not really planning on doing all my lights and buttons at first.I also saw another type of card you can put on top of both centipedes that adds 40 something outputs but i can not remember what it was called.