10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

My first step will be switch panels. looking for advise. Thanks!

I was looking at the desktop aviator switch panel 1010E as well as their other ready make solutions. I like the look and it's basically what I was looking for It seems like it would make more sense to build all the panels myself.
    I'm not looking for a 100% true representation of a C172. So I want to add a few more switches on the panel. My plan was to use an input card that would be used for all the same functions as the 1010E and also handle flaps, fuel cut and tank selection and so on. That way I don't have like 10 USB connections. I also want to have a few physical spots left for switches to control a couple of fans, and cabin lights, though those won't go through the input card.

Are the switches that Desktop Aviator sells any different than what you could get at any other electronics retailer? They don't really specify what the switch requirements and comparability are with their input cards. I've never seen it discussed either.

Does any one know if the labels on the face plate are vinyl stickers or is it printed on the panel? This is the only thing that I don't really know how to go about doing. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

10+ Posting Member

Re: My first step will be switch panels. looking for advise. Thanks!

I came up with:

switches
    8 toggle
    3 Pull
    6 Rocker
    1 5 way key

500+ This must be a daytime job

1. Their unit is what I started with as well, and ended up taking it apart and adding to my own panel.
    2. With the low voltages involved, any switch will work. Pick what you like. If it is more that single throw, it will need more inputs to work.
    3. The plates are printed.

As far as input cards go, there are cheaper cards, but few easier than the DA, which is basically plug and play. You will need FSUIPC to make some of teh switches work correctly (lights mostly)

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

10+ Posting Member

Thanks for the info.

I'm no electronics expert, but with good direction (like what is found on this site) I can accomplish what I need to do.

So you say voltage doesn't matter? So a 12v, 24v, or 110v switch will work? My first panel will be the pilot side switch panel below the yoke. I'm using basically 18 toggle switches, well as far as the input card is concerned they function is toggle. (IE: Key, Rocker, Pull switches are all toggle functions)

You mension a FSUIPC. I'm currently using Plan G with out an FSUIPC, and it works. I really don't know why I would need an FSUIPC for adding a switch panel that is basically interfaced as a game controller. May be you can fill me in?

Thanks!

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Steve at D.A is very helpful, just email him and i'm sure he'll get an answer for you. I would expect them just to be the normal switches you can obtain from a wide variety of sources.

P.S I started with some Desktop Aviator panels and now I own multiple flight simulators, just goes to show everyone has to start somewhere.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Hi.

I have crossed emails with Steve on the DA panels in the past, and can confirm that the labels on the DA units are actually screen printed on. However, you can make your own labels quite easily by using MS Paint, printing then cutting them into little stick-on labels. I wouldn't laminate them because you will create glare. Many aircraft owners, re-label their switches over time and you can buy either stick on labels (such as aircraft spruce) or print your own using a simple label machine (such as a handheld dymo printer). Many of the Cessna panels are actually embossed into the leatherette, either way I wouldn't worry about labeling too much if its a generic panel for sim use. Let me know what labels you want and I am sure I can design you some to print off!

Regarding switches and toggles - There are no 'special' switches to use, just any toggle, switch, rocker or key switch will do the trick, at the end of the day its just a switch, there are no electronics in a switch, just 'open, close' or 'on or off'. Just go to ebay and type in 'SPST Toggle' and they will be fine for on/off use. Again 'SPST Rocker Switch' is no different from a toggle switch, it does the same thing only it just 'rocks' on and off. A five way key switch, I would use a rotary switch, and just use the first 5 channels (if its a 6 way etc, just use 5 terminals/lugs etc'.)

Switch panels are a doddle to make, go for it! If you need any more help, just PM me.

Cheers! Alex

500+ This must be a daytime job

Fsuipc is a software program that gives you access to "unavailable" fs controls. i.e.-instead of toggle all lights, it lets you individually control strobe, taxi, landing and nav lights separately. The fs menus do not allow you to do that without help.

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...