Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Simkits USB Altieter issues

Hi, We have a Cessna 172 cockpit with Simkits USB instruments.
    Most Simkits stuff works fine, but we have issues with the altimeter and flap switch.

The altimeter works fine for long periods, but moves suddenly 1000 feet (mostly down), altimeter still works but indicated altitude is now off by 1000 feet.
    Altimeter in FSX is showing correct altitude. The fix is stopping and starting the USB interface software from Simkits, this resets the altimeter to zero, and we can connect to FSX and get correct readings.

The other problem is the USB flap switch, it stops working after 5-10 minutes of flight. The strange thing is that the flap in FSX also stops working. A reset of FSX fixes this problem.

All other Simkits stuff are working fine. (IAS, T&B, Attitude, RPM, vertical and heading)
    Anybody encountered similar problems?

Have tried Simkits support, but they do not respond at all. Past experiences with Simkits support have been excellent so this is strange. Are they out of buisiness?

Regards
    Frode

Re: Simkits USB Altieter issues

Hello Frode!
    We have two identical altimeters form Simkits in our simulator and I know what you are talking about. One of the altimeter is totally ok, but the other one does the same thing as yours (actually our altimeter adds plus +1000 feet from time to time). The other one has NEVER done that, so it is definitely issue of the individual piece. As soon as I get some time I will send this one them back.

I recommend you: write them a very short e-mail and just state (with as simple English as possible) that your altimeter doesn't work and that you want their postal address + RMA (return material autorization, a number which you write on the package so they know what is inside). Write short brief e-mail and send it. If they don't reply within lets say 5 days write them another e-mail like "Sirs, did you get my previous e-mail? I am waiting for reply!". They will send you the address and RMI - just pack the altimeter and send it to them, they will repair it and send it back to you. I think their support guy doesn't speak english well and is unable/unwilling to understand more complicated text

At our university simulator we have 19 gauges from them and we had an issue with 3 gauges so far. The first was a faulty lightbulb, the second was a servo motor in gyro compass, the third is the altimeter. I was trying to get in touch with them and do some troubleshooting but I god only VERY poor answers. The longer e-mail I wrote and the more of photos/videos of my problem I attached the worse answer/no answer I got. But after I did the procedure that I recommend you it was ok and I got my repaired gauge back. Now I am waiting for some real life duties but I will repeat it for the altimeter soon.

About the flap switch - no idea, we are using Goflight panel for flaps, but I recommend you connecting the switch to another PC to determine if the problem stays.

Good luck with your instrument.

Pavel Brodsky

10+ Posting Member

Hi Pavel,
    Thank you for your answer and tips. I sent a lengthy mail and attached a video, and resent it a few weeks later, still no answer. Maybe you are right assuming language problems. I’ll try your approach and see if I can get an answer..

Thanks
    Frode

Yep, my first attempt was also with a video Let me know about the result to complete my picture of this company...

PB

300+ Forum Addict

Hi, think there are no language problems, they don`t reply to native dutch emailers or customers also.
    regards Henk

Hey, try to write them on support@simkits.com - today I have sent them and e-mail and they responded within few hours, interesting! And it looks like they had no language problems this time.

Pavel

10+ Posting Member

Finally got an answer today. Issue resolved, they are sending a new altimeter to replace the faulty unit (:

Interesting. Now they are talking with me also very good. The sad thing is that the problem starts to appear also on the second of my two altimeters which may indicate that it is not the problem of individual piece of hardware - maybe some firmware flaw? I dont know. I was trying to capture the USB traffic to the gauge but got no usable results. During the summer I will have no access to the altimeters as the cockpit belongs to our university so I will get back to the problem in September. It would be great to hear from you meanwhile if your problem was resolved by changing the altimeter or if it still occurs.

Pavel

10+ Posting Member

I agree with you in your suspicion of firmware issues. It’s really strange that the problem occurs after some time.
    I wish there was a way to do a factory reset of these instruments to see if that helps.

I’ll keep you posted as to our progress
    /frode

Man, I've heard so many bad things about SimKits instruments.

For the price they should work flawlessly, or at the very least have amazing customer service!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast