Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Need help - How to connect a 2 pole, 5 way rotary switch to my Leo Bodnar BU0836x card

HI Guys, In order to build my Left EFEIS, I need to connect a 2 pole, 5 way rotary switch (not a rotary encoder) to a BU0836X card. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place and I apologise if I did not. I'm a newb when it comes to switches so if someone could point me to a simple diagram it would be great. Thank you very much.

75+ Posting Member BuildABoeing's Avatar

Re: Need help - How to connect a 2 pole, 5 way rotary switch to my Leo Bodnar BU0836x card

If you have a 2 pole 5 way rotary switch it means that there are 2 sets of legs. Each set consist of a Ground/GND pin and 5 outputs. (So you can only get 5 outputs)

If you put the switch in "position3" you will get power out of leg number 3 on each set (As long as you have GND connected to both).

Using a 2 pole switch can be an advantage if you need to separate systems to get a signal from a switch.
    An example could be that you need one set of signals for the BU0836X-card and the other set of signals (pole) is wired up to some LEDs.

A simple diagram would look like this:

Loop1: GND1-----1---2---3---4---5---X
    Loop2: GND2-----1---2---3---4---5---X

The GND-pins are the ones in the middle. The ones in the side are output (1-5) (The 'X' above marks that there normally are a total of 12 pins, so there might be 2x1 "dead pins" on your switch.
    When the lever is in position 2 the "output number 2" is connected in both loops. But they not connected, so if only GND1 is connected you will not get a signal out of loop2.

Regarding your EFIS:
    As I see it you only need one pole/loop. So you need to find out which pins you will be using.
    Hooking it up to the BU0836X is pretty simple.
    You need the same number of slots that you need inputs. So if you need APP/VOR/MAP/PLN you need 4 slots (1 slot = 1 GND + 1 Bxx). Each slot has a GND and an input-gate (named B-something)
    From the first you take the GND and place in the middle pin of your switch. Then you take the the corrosponding outputs on the switch and place one in each B-gate.

Hope this makes sense...
    Best wishes, Peter
    Building a B737NG - Blog: BuildABoing

Re: Need help - How to connect a 2 pole, 5 way rotary switch to my Leo Bodnar BU0836x card

HI BuildABoeing, thank you very much for taking the time to write me and explain in detail what it is all about. It is pretty clear now and thanks again. Its guys like yourself that makes others advance in their projects.