Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Opencockpits Fwd Overhead Kit 737

Hey,

I'm planning to build a overhead for my B737 cockpit. My question to all other builders which have a fwd overhead kit from opencockpits:
    • Is in the kit everything I need to build the complete overhead?
    • Is there a documentation from opencockpits available which describes step by step the building of the overhead? If not, does someone else created one?
    • If someone has already experiences in buliding the overhead from the kit: Do you have tips for me?

Thanks everybody for answers.

Andy

75+ Posting Member BuildABoeing's Avatar

Re: Opencockpits Fwd Overhead Kit 737

Hi Andy.

For a complete overhead you need to buy everything that is mentioned as "Not included" on this page:
    Kit paneles 3D Overhead

There is kits available for most of it (annunciators, switches, servos etc.) and then you need to buy the different IO-cards mentioned.
    But once you have all that (and about half a year of spare time) you are ready to go.

I do not have the OC overhead but have build a pedestal (from ProSimParts) but I guess it is the same story: You need to do everything you self!

My best tip is google and youtube. Over and over again. And then build one panel at a time.
    Use multible layers of plexiglass with spacers between to mount switches and connectors.

The building it self is pretty easy. Just focus on one panel at a time. You just need to install switches on to an extra plexiglass-plate behind the panel and then start soldering and wiring it all up.

Use 12v LED strips (Warm white) for backlighting. They are very easy to work with and gives an good effect.

This video from my own blog of the back-side of the MIP-panel might give you an idea of the layer/sandwich idea. Home cockpit 737 - Build a Boeing: MIP behind - YouTube (1m40s)

Good luck!

/Peter
    Best wishes, Peter
    Building a B737NG - Blog: BuildABoing

75+ Posting Member

Re: Opencockpits Fwd Overhead Kit 737

hi I am just in the process of putting my ovh together its not from of but... I have other stuff from them and I am very happy with their products my ovh is from prosimparts, anyways to help you with your questions..
    1. if you talking about their ovh kit for 2700 € yes I am certain it will contain everything except the few things mentioned which you can just get at your hardware store or you already own them...
    2 . step by step manual.. Roflmao forget it ... but there are partial manuals that put together will teach you what and how to connect this stuff to io-cards.. for example there is in detail manual how to connect the displays for electrical panel found on ovh so you will follow that, also there is picture explaining where to put which switch... so other is help, but to say step by step manual.. nah I doubt it very much
    3. for tips... well the way I did it with mine .... it might be easily with yours cuz you get the frame in the 2700€ kit, ... put together with appropriate switches attached each panel then mount it to your frame... once you done this turn it around and begin soldering fun make groups of 9 switches (inputs) remember 1 switch rotary for example might have as many as 8 position so think of it as 8 switches... once you wired all the switches (inputs) I ended up with 144 inputs that does not include encoders and pots these are on the to do list.. then wire your lights... that is what I be doing now....
    on final though unless you enjoy soldering making wire connections etc.... I do.... maybe you can just throw in extra 500€ get the plug and play ovh... idk..
    all in all it is not hard just time consuming and little aggrivating especially making the wireing so that after it easily connects to master card.

AndyCYXU

you welcome to visit my blog I will update it later with how I grouped my switches..