Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

help with link2fs

Gday guys i stumbled across this site 1 week ago and i now have a new hobby
    Since then i have purchased and arduino board a 16x2 lcd screen (total noob) downloaded all software and read all documents regarding installation have wired up everything and copied jimz pde file to my arduino. have plugged it into my computer and i am now getting a display saying hi_from_jim_:P__ waiting for data.. lol
    im stuck
    not sure what else i gotta do i thought At this point i had to load the game to get my nav display on the lcd ...
    hope some one can shime in
    regards James

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: help with link2fs

Welcome, James.
    WARNING! - You have stumbled across an addictive hobby.

You're off to a good start - you have the LCD working. This can also function as a diagnostic display.

Speaking generally, arduino code needs to be written in order to interface w/ Link2FS. If you have not downloaded it yet, you can find it here:
    FSX arduino mega arduino duemilanove nano flight simulator ARDUINO fsx inout fsxinout jimnz jim nz - the download link is located towards the end of the page.

In order to assist you further, please post your code.
    (use the advance reply button; press the # - this will paste the php "{CODE}- paste your code in this section {/CODE}")

-JM

Quote Originally Posted by JMeller View Post
    Welcome, James.
    WARNING! - You have stumbled across an addictive hobby.

You're off to a good start - you have the LCD working. This can also function as a diagnostic display.

Speaking generally, arduino code needs to be written in order to interface w/ Link2FS. If you have not downloaded it yet, you can find it here:
    FSX arduino mega arduino duemilanove nano flight simulator ARDUINO fsx inout fsxinout jimnz jim nz - the download link is located towards the end of the page.

In order to assist you further, please post your code.
    (use the advance reply button; press the # - this will paste the php "{CODE}- paste your code in this section {/CODE}")

-JM
    Hey mate thanks heaps for the reply!!
    i did download the zip and uploaded the pde_inout_v4.pde onto the arduino so does that mean i gotta add some lines of code onto that file??

150+ Forum Groupie

Using his pde file, it is already setup to receive airspeed, altitude, comm1 active, and comm1 stand-by data.

Verify the baud rate of Link2FS matches what is uploaded in the arduino pde (115200).

Find the airspeed (W), altitude(C), com1(d), and com1 stby(e) checkboxes and click them. This tells the software to only send this data to the arduino.

When you click the "connect" button on the Link2FS software (with FSX or FS9 already running) you should see data populate near all the checkboxes (checked or unchecked).

Your LCD should be displaying the data. If it still isn't, you may need to provide more detail.

JM

Using his pde file, it is already setup to receive airspeed, altitude, comm1 active, and comm1 stand-by data.

Verify the baud rate of Link2FS matches what is uploaded in the arduino pde (115200).

Find the airspeed (W), altitude(C), com1(d), and com1 stby(e) checkboxes and click them. This tells the software to only send this data to the arduino.

When you click the "connect" button on the Link2FS software (with FSX or FS9 already running) you should see data populate near all the checkboxes (checked or unchecked).

Your LCD should be displaying the data. If it still isn't, you may need to provide more detail.

JM
    thanks mate got it all up and running

i did notice though when using toggle switches for lets just say the landing gear, it will only go up and down when on the (on)position is there anyway to use the off position for gear up??
    Regards James

150+ Forum Groupie

if (gear_sw != gear_swold && inputXX == HIGH) { gear_sw = gear_swold; // DO THIS - GEAR UP}
    if (gear_sw != gear_swold && inputXX == LOW) {gear_sw = gear_swold; // DO THIS - GEAR DOWN}

edit: After further consideration, above code was modified to not confuse "gear" as the variable controlled by Link2FS data; also "gear_sw = gear_swold;" was properly placed.

An alternative:
    Code:
     gear_sw = digitalRead{inputXX};
    if (gear_sw != gear_swold){
    if (gear_sw == HIGH){ // DO THIS - GEAR UP}
    if (gear_sw == LOW){ // DO THIS - GEAR DOWN}
    gear_sw = gear_swold;
    }
    or,
    Code:
    if (gear_sw == HIGH){ // DO THIS - GEAR UP}else{DO THIS - GEAR DOWN}
    gear_sw = gear_swold;
    }

if (gear_sw != gear_swold && inputXX == HIGH) { gear_sw = gear_swold; // DO THIS - GEAR UP}
    if (gear_sw != gear_swold && inputXX == LOW) {gear_sw = gear_swold; // DO THIS - GEAR DOWN}

edit: After further consideration, above code was modified to not confuse "gear" as the variable controlled by Link2FS data; also "gear_sw = gear_swold;" was properly placed.

An alternative:
    Code:
    if (gear_sw == HIGH){ // DO THIS - GEAR UP}
    if (gear_sw == LOW){ // DO THIS - GEAR DOWN}
    gear_sw = gear_swold;
    }
    or,
    Code: