Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Desperately seeking square ptm switch buttons

Hi Guys (Gals?)

I have been going nuts looking for some square ptm switches to use in a UFC build. I want to build the kind you see in modern fighters, and am basing it on the A-10C one.

After much searching I found the I-0-II rocker switches. I have the small round ptm switches and as a last resort I will use them with squares cut from plasticard glued on top - but I hope it won't come to that. Square covers would do nicely, though.

The typical 14x14mm ptm ones that you see around (usually in red, but also in black) are a bit on the large side. The type of soft button that you see on a big calculator would be ideal - but would not be suitable for my interface, which is a Leo Bodnar BU0836X.

I'm using these (total 380x110mm)

Really appreciate any pointers (in the UK).

Chars

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Re: Desperately seeking square ptm switch buttons

I'm not 100% sure what you are after from your description, but something like these?

Switches - Push Button Square

3. Thanks JD_LincsUK thanked for this post

Thanks for the reply and link - those are the type that I meant would be a bit on the large side - though I may end up having to use them.

They are the type that always come up in the searches I made, both Google and within shop websites, which was why I asked here, although I did find some white ones the same size.

I'll keep looking, but it isn't looking like I'll find what I need. If I knew more about setting up keypads from the basic parts it would help, I guess, for the alpha-numeric keypad style entry section at least. I would need to have each individual key as an I/0 switch to work with the BU0836.

Being a pensioner means financial resources are restricted - otherwise I'd just buy a commercially available console and adapt it to my needs.

The idea is for the UFC to go in between the two MFDs above the throttle quadrant and CPL (I just replaced the G940 with a TM Warthog HOTAS)

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by JD_LincsUK View Post
    Thanks for the reply and link - those are the type that I meant would be a bit on the large side - though I may end up having to use them.

They are the type that always come up in the searches I made, both Google and within shop websites, which was why I asked here, although I did find some white ones the same size.

I'll keep looking, but it isn't looking like I'll find what I need. If I knew more about setting up keypads from the basic parts it would help, I guess, for the alpha-numeric keypad style entry section at least. I would need to have each individual key as an I/0 switch to work with the BU0836.

Being a pensioner means financial resources are restricted - otherwise I'd just buy a commercially available console and adapt it to my needs.
    Just a thought, but Open Cockpits sells a key kit for the FMC. Would they be close to the right size you are looking for?

Kit componentes FMC

They are far too small, thanks.

I have settled for some I found at CPC - though I wasn't happy that after taking my money and supposedly having despatched most of the order so it can't be cancelled (on a Saturday evening!) they then told me I'd have to wait a month until they get some more in.

That's after saying they don't charge for postage but still hitting me with a £6 "handling charge".

Don't think I will ever shop there again - nor will anyone I know

TS0A22 - -- - SWITCH, PUSH BUTTON, SQUARE, SPST | CPC

Also ordered some of these, in case I like them better despite the shroud:

SW03222 - -- - SWITCH, SQ PB, MOM, BLACK | CPC

then these ones for the round ptm's:

PPSW-527M - MULTICOMP - SWITCH, PB, W/P, SNAP IN, MOM | CPC

with a couple of these for the same reason as the square ones:

TS0B22 - -- - SWITCH, PUSH BUTTON, ROUND, SPST | CPC

Couldn't find any momentary rockers, unfortunately so had to settle for these two:

C1520ATAAA - ARCOLECTRIC SWITCHES - STD ROCKER NON-ILUUM SPDT CENTRE | CPC

MC33412-041-11 - MULTICOMP - ROCKER SWITCH SPDT CENTRE OFF | CPC

I like these ones - but they are a bit on the large side:

IP65 Centre Off Rocker Switch : Rocker Switches : Maplin Electronics

Hope these are of use to someone, bearing my experience in mind. Desperate times and all that...