Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    75+ Posting Member BuildABoeing's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: 737 Overhead knobs and switches?

As David also mentions in the pdf (And I have done the same for my pedestal and MIP): Build in layers / a sandwich.

Layer 1 ======== Panel front
    Layer 2 ___________ Plexiglass with all switches mounted/glued in
    Layer 3 --------------- Layer with all connectors/pins

On layer 2 you can glue your LED strips. That way your backlightning will now be influenced by the size of rotary switched, as they are mounted on the backside of layer 2, where the LED-strip is on the front side of Layer two.

Layer 3 contains everything you need for interfacing so they are easily accessed.

From what I can see on Davids pdf he used one large piece of plexiglass that covers the whole overhead. I also started out this way with my pedestal (I don't have an overhead yet). But I ended up making all panels as separate units. So the COM2-radio is a separate unit with 3 layers mounted on to the panel. That way you can remove one panel without dealing with all the overhead. And should you make a mistake (a wrong hold, crack the plexiglass and so forth) you only affect one panel and not the whole overhead.

Use M3 HEX bolts to space the layers.

You will need quite a lot in 5, 10, 20 mm. Found mine on ebay and dx.com

Regards Peter
    Best wishes, Peter
    Building a B737NG - Blog: BuildABoing

500+ This must be a daytime job

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: 737 Overhead knobs and switches?

Hi Peter

The light plates on my overhead are all individual ones mounted to each panel. That way you can easily remove anything as suggested

One change that I have since made is to daisy chain the led strips on each plate - less wiring

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12