Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Approved Simulator

HI his may be a bit of a 'pipe dream' but I was thinking if I was to build a simulator it would be nice to be able to use it for MCC courses for baby commercial pilots.

i have a background in engineering and also as a commercial pilot with a touch of programming skills thrown in.

i did a search here for FNPT to see what others have come up with but other than a disappointed 320 sim owner who failed to get approval for his sim I've not turned up much.

any thoughts from anyone on the subject? Given the choice I would want to build a 738 as that's what I know.

tia

300+ Forum Addict

Re: Approved Simulator

Hi Tia,

If you really wanted to get it certified, you'll have to go with Flightdecksolutions simulators or similar, as they've proved themselves by doing stuff for the Boeing Company outright. However, your problems would be the learning curve with X-plane because you'll have to use X-plane 10 for certification.

Forget FSX in the certfication regards because FSX is not usually used for anything beyond familiarization training. So, if you're still with FSX, you need to switch. As far as I know there are just a handful of guys who have switched over to X-plane 10 on their homecockpit sims, and out of those I don't know if they're certified for anything. Thus, you'll be threading new territory, but don't give up because it has been done before...just by a few though.

Still, I love to tell everyone this, throw out a post to ask to visit folks with full homecockpit sims. Almost everyone who has a sim will offer to let you visit, as we all love to show our sims too others...me included (except I am in Wisconsin, so that will not help you). There are lots of guys in the UK and Europe in general, so you'll likely get an invite pretty quick.

Best Regards,

John

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Nothing wrong with asking the question. You've got to start somewhere! I have often thought the same thing, not that it's an avenue I am thinking of taking, but it's an interesting question nonetheless.

I'm building a 738, what's your background? Where in the UK are you?

Sean

PS - Hi John!

I'm in the midlands.

A friend of mine has a sim at home and I've always been more into online gaming flight sims such as il2 and dcs A10.

im very lucky in that I earn my living flying and have done so for 20 years. I still enjoy flying but sadly not the industry, it's far too cut throat these days, if I could earn a living doing something else and fly for fun I would!

Oh by the way TIA was not my name but 'thanks in advance' ... Sorry I'm turning into a teenage texter!

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Sherburn Aero Club have a monthly flight sim get together. It's on today. Maybe a bit short notice for you, but I'm about to jump in the car and head down for the first time. They might have something that interests you. They also built a sim which they use for training.

Flight Sim Group

Oh right, well I might check that out next time, im in a hotel down route at the moment so its not really possible today. Thinking about it a friend was there a couple of months ago looking at doing some rotary flying and I'm sure he said they had an R44 sim.

thanks for the info though.

It seems one of the requirements for approval is realistic feel of the controls, I haven't seen any off the shelf units for sale for 737 sims. I have read some old posts on here some threads haven't been posted in for years.

has anyone successfully managed to reproduce the 73 feel? I would have thought reproducing the feel of the 737 would be easier in some ways than a light aircraft.

300+ Forum Addict

Hey Sean...its been a long time my friend

Bonehead, what is your first name?

As for real feel of the Yoke, there are a few guys who have pulled that off as well, but you're right in that its been awhile since seeing those postings on the subject. You could PM Mike Leavy over on Cockpitbuilders dot com and ask him because he too is a real-world active B737 pilot building a simulator, so he might have insight.

If you're speaking of fighters, then goto Simpits dot org (. not word dot) or viperpits dot org. There are folks in that realm who have got the force/feel down to a science; especially, F16 builders.

I do hope you get a chance to visit Sean's sim as his is in the top tier for home builders.

Best Regards,

John

Hi thanks for the info ill keep digging!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast