Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Microsoft FSX Teensy - Low Cost Interfacing Using Arduino

I'd like to share a new platform for low-cost ($16 - $24) hardware interfacing I've been developing. It's based on Arduino, a very beginner-oriented hardware programming system. Flight simulation commands and data are mapped to variables within Arduino.

Here is a video demo.

Arduino makes interfacing LEDs, small LCDs, rotary encoders and lots of other hardware simple, but provides a fully featured programming environment, so you're not limited to only trivial projects.

The Arduino compatible hardware is called Teensy, which has been on the market for about 3 years. The hardware is not new. Teensy boards are in stock at Adafruit (USA East), PJRC (USA West) and Floris.cc (Europe), and they are very affordable!

What is new is special flight sim support, which makes commands and data available as variables within Arduino. All communication is by low-cost USB. It's possible to connect many devices using "multi-TT" type USB 2.0 hubs. Because the specific flight sim variables are embedded within the Arduino programming on each board, they always map to the correct commands/data, even if plugged in or reprogrammed while the simulator is running!

It's currently in beta testing, and currently only X-Plane is supported. Here are the beta test files:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/beta/flight_sim_beta/

Here is a lengthy thread where much of the development has been discussed.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?...ic=55952&st=70

I'm looking for feedback and especially for beta testers!

My hope is to bring the incredibly flexible and popular Arduino environment to the world of cockpit builders, to enable all sorts of create projects using very low cost hardware.

2. Thanks maussuam, HansJansen, verticallimit, Wendy, AK Mongo thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Re: Teensy - Low Cost Interfacing Using Arduino

how i can added my cocpit project, rudder pedals (need 2 potentiometer)left-right+toe brake, or need me more pot ?
    and yoke (need 2 potentiometer.)left-right+up-down.
    and trim wheels (need 2 encored.)later options gauges encoder about how many ??
    flaps up-down.
    and some leds and switches on-off.
    have anybody code ????
    if have code were i can buy teensy or leonardo,or other arduino who working whit usb hid
    i need help lot
    what teensy version have good ? i looking web have many v1, 2,3, ++,about,
    i understand teensy have usb hid subbord ready, my uno card need re programmed somethink new and then adding code,no good way, teensy if have better way ?
    and need me FSUIP or other 3 party software too use at fs2004 ?
    or who buy to me ready board who can do all thats ?
    other board ?

Re: Teensy - Low Cost Interfacing Using Arduino

Quote Originally Posted by Matti V View Post
    and need me FSUIP or other 3 party software too use at fs2004 ?
    The software mentioned in this thread only works with X-Plane.

It maps X-Plane datarefs and commands to special variables in Arduino. You can use them like ordinary variables in Arduino, but they actually access the simulation data within X-Plane. There's no need to write code to send and receive data... that's all done automatically by simply creating special variables. The huge advantage is the X-Plane datarefs are put right into the Arduino code, so there's no fragile mapping of USB joystick buttons and axes. You can even unplug and reconnect the Teensy or reprogram it with Arduino while flying, because the Arduino variables always map properly to the intended datarefs and commands when you reconnect the Teensy to any USB port.

There's no version of this for FSUIPC or any version of Microsoft Flight Simulator. It only works with X-Plane.