Thread: LEDs

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: LEDs

oops!

Am I right in saying that the negative side of all 6 leds can be linked to each other to leave 1 negative wire that goes to the output card. And there will be 6 individual positive wires 1 from each annuciator that will then also go to the output card ?
    Also can I test these on a battery and if so what one should I use.

Thanks in advance

Paul

That is correct. The negatives can all be connected together to form one negative wire that connects to the output card AS LONG AS the corresponding Positives are also connected to that same card.

As for testing. As long as you have a battery that matches the voltage of the output card then you are good. Remember on your LED calculations to use the appropriate voltage in the calculator. I am concerned I may have misled you with the 12V bit... 12V for your LEDs would be appropriate for backlighting... I believe the Mastercard/output combo delivers 5V so make sure you use the appropriate resistors.

You might want to look at acquiring a power supply for 5 and 12 V. Hacking a computer power supply works very well and you can buy an AT power supply for dirt cheap.

Niko's website has a good breakdown on the cards http://www.lekseecon.nl/iocards.html

The output card pin 1/37 is the ground, so in theory you would connect your six positive wires to say... 2/38, 3/39, 4/40, 5/41, and 5/42.

Hope that helps.

3. Thanks paul7647 thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Thanks again!

I had a look at the calculator and it recommended 330ohm resistors, however when I purchased the ultra bright leds from OC I also purchased there recommeded resistors for the mentioned leds for the landing gear annuciators which are 470ohm so I am a bit confused now!
    Perhaps I can try them and see what happens, I have a new ATX power supply that I can check them on?

Paul
    Or is it not a good idea?

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Paul, This may help http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz Kind Regards Bernie. Sorry my enter key does not work with this forum for some reason.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

6. Thanks paul7647 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12