10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Here is What Jim's Program Led To...

OK, it's ugly but then all prototypes are generally ugly to begin with...

Radio Prototype.jpg Radio Prototype2.png

As you can see by my huge hand I had to try and fit everything on that prototype board and even THAT has got to be trimmed to size to fit my face area. A lot of this has been trial an error on my part.

Regarding trial and error I have to point out one thing I did wrong for a while. Did you remember I said that my displays were starting off dim and then eventually brightening... Oooops on my part. Turned out that using LED's (the individual variety) connected to tha same circuit that your seven segs are connected leads to a current leak. I thought I could use digit 6 as a way of having all the LEDs connected to the two Max7219's. I found that when the lower display had numbers displayed the LEDs would come on in different patterns as well (even though digit 6 had no numbers assigned). Tried moving the multiplex to digit 8 (7 in Arduino terms) and it still caused problems. So I just moved the LEDs to individual channels on the UNO and it's now working nicely. Even had the knock on effect that the ACT light flashes on my radio when it boots up and when it gets updated.

Just have to add the rotary switch and some more buttons and then I will have to finish programming the sucker.

So Jim, this nightmare is YOUR fault lol.

2. Thanks Sammy-E thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: Here is What Jim's Program Led To...

Great stuff Neo ,,, yea ,, the bug has bitten !!
    Last edited by Jim NZ; 02-12-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

10+ Posting Member

Re: Here is What Jim's Program Led To...

Yeah, bug bitten for sure. Now I am looking into making a mechanical altimeter to match the ATR 72 one. Problem is I started off wrong by trying to use a servo motor instead of a stepper motor lol. Oh well... Not had this much fun with my sim project for years.

I'll post some pics of the current state of my radio (it's got all the working bits now) tomorrow. Problem is I ordered a load of stuff from China because of your program Jim and most of it arrived today. LCD's, Megas prototype stuff, Adafruit servo boards lol... IT'S CHRISTMAS AGAIN!