75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Newbie questions regarding using monitors for pfd,nd etc...

Hi guys,

After much googling i found this site and looks like its the one to get all my questions answered judging by what you good folk have done here..

My question: currently i have 2 x 27" monitors on my desk and use VRInsight FCU - i fly airbus... i am wanting to use the 2 27's as the cockpit view (or maybe a 65" TV??? and another monitor as one to show the instrument displays.... but i am at a loss as to how to do this and indeed what fsx airbus will even let me undock gauges etc.... i know the Blackbox bus has popup pfd,nd etc but somehow i don't think this is what most use?

In laymans terms, is it possible to do what i visulise? is there any needed software to implement? Ultimately i hope to get a a320 full size front panel and sit the monitors behind the cutouts...

My pc specs are below... thank you for and pointers chaps!

regards

Doug
    FSS: 13144 AU Blue | 28989 AU Gold | 29257 Ysch | 173395 Ybbn & NZsi | 175297 NZni | 0182793 Ymml | 186796 EU England |
    System: 3770K @ 4.7ghz ~ 1.32v | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Corsair Hydro H70 | 16g Corsair DDR3 1600mhz CL9 ~ 1.50v | GTX 670 oc | 310.90WHQL drivers | nVidia Inspector 1.9.6.8 | Sandisk SP900 256g ssd - OS | Sandisk SP900 256g ssd - fsx | 1TB Seagate Barracuda storage | Aywun 750w Mega Power Pro 80plus | CM HAF 912 Advanced | Logitech 3D Pro & Saitek Throttle Quadrant | 2 x Asus VK278Q 27" 3840x1080x32 | Win 7 64bit Pro |
    Fsx+Acc+FTX+Rex E+TrackIR 5+Gsx+Accufeel+Opus

Re: Newbie questions regarding using monitors for pfd,nd etc...

Hi Doug, for my A320 HC i bought one 19" Wide Monitor for PFD/ND and one 19" 4:3 Monitor for ECAM SUP/INF and STBY instruments.

Most "cockpit builder" has 17 Wide for PFD/ND and 19 4:3 (vertically positioned) for ECAM.

You can view some example :

A320 Projekt
    Bobby's A320 Cockpit
    home-cockpit.blogspot.de

etc etc

75+ Posting Member BuildABoeing's Avatar

I am building a B737 so software-wise things might be a bit different, but I think it hardware-wise will be pretty similar.

I use (as asessa mentions) 2 x 19" for the PFD and a 15" engine instruments. I bought mine used for $20 each.

In my setup (and this is my adwise to you - if it is possible software-wise) I use one computer for FSX (and outside view) and a second computer for flight instruments.
    My second computer is a low-end Pentium D with a graphic card with 2 exits (VGA + DVI). One of the exits is used for the engine display. The other is the captain PFD. However on the PFD I use a "splitter" so I get the same image on the two 19" screens for both CPT-side and F/O-side. A splitter can be found on eBay for around $5.

Whichever you do this you will need additional exits on your computer for the extra monitors (PFD + ENG). So you can either but an extra GFX-card and put load on your main computer - or find a second computer that does the same and takes load of your main computer and there by keeping that FPS high.

Your (only?) limitation is if it is possible to have the PFD + ENG displays showed on a separate computer via some sort of software.
    For the 737 I have bought ProSim. I am unsure what is available for the A320.

Cheers
    Peter
    Best wishes, Peter
    Building a B737NG - Blog: BuildABoing

For A320 Sim there are some payware software like AST or freeware like jeehell (i prefer this for now).

In my first version of A320HC, I'll use one pc with two Nvidia GTX video card (1 GTX460 for CDU+ECAM+PFD/ND and 1 GTX670 for FSX).

I will use Wilco Evolution Vol1/2 because i have a VrInsight CDU-II that is not compatible with jeehell but i will upgrade soon with a cdu from opencockpit or other and a FCU.
    P3D V5 HF1 - PC spec: Intel i5-6600K, 16 GB DDR4 2400, GPU Nvidia GTX1070ti, M2 SSD NVme, JH FMGS, GSX, ASP3D+ASCA+ENVSHADE