Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

MEGA + Rotary encoders + LCD +++

Hi Jim and others

In short I have looked through some of the posts and downloaded some files off your site. I have actually been throwing money into FSBUS but seems there is a gremlin in the system now.

The short of it is i have a pack of 10 rotary encoders which also have a push button function. I am wanting to try something this weekend if possible with Arduino and the stuff you have been doing.

In short the circuit diagram on this page FSX arduino mega arduino duemilanove nano flight simulator ARDUINO fsx inout fsxinout jimnz jim nz i would like to test. Is the LCD a specific or particular type? Is the "rotary" component a rotary switch, pot or actual rotary?

I want to buy the Mega this afternoon - what else should I get? I have breadboards jumper cables etc etc resistors switches leds 7segs with common A.

OK though i have piles of resistors what rating should they be or does it not matter? For output to LED from the Arduino what rating resistor is being used?

I am about as useful with arduino as a ashtray is on a motorcycle! I don't want to buy a pile of goodies and it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: MEGA + Rotary encoders + LCD +++

Welcome to our wee part of the world ,,, but be careful ,, these things are like a disease !!!

You've got about all you need and as far as "which card" well depends on what you future plans are for them ,, to be honest the Mega gives you heaps of scope for whatever you dive into ,,, there is nothing worse than running out of "pins" (the in or out connections.)
    But there again a "Uno" card is smaller and more suited for a specific purpose (less "pins")

The LCD in those pictures is a standard "Hitachi HD44780 compatible" and they are all over the place but be careful ,, some other LCD's out there are not compatible with the standard LCD library (a sort of driver). I think there are librarys for some of the other types but I haven't ventured there.

The "rotary" in the picture is a Pot for adjusting the contrast in the LCD ,, a standard sort of thing.

The resistors can be just the small ones ,, they are not dissipating much so that's what I use.

Get yourself a Mega or a Uno and dig thru the Arduino site and try the simpler stuff until you get the hang of what it's all about. Then try one or two of the stuff on my site and by then there will be no holding you back. .

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Jim

Thanks a mil for your response. I'll give it a whirl asap. I have s mega I can use from another project I'm working SLOWLY on
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    Welcome to our wee part of the world ,,, but be careful ,, these things are like a disease !!!

You've got about all you need and as far as "which card" well depends on what you future plans are for them ,, to be honest the Mega gives you heaps of scope for whatever you dive into ,,, there is nothing worse than running out of "pins" (the in or out connections.)
    But there again a "Uno" card is smaller and more suited for a specific purpose (less "pins")

The LCD in those pictures is a standard "Hitachi HD44780 compatible" and they are all over the place but be careful ,, some other LCD's out there are not compatible with the standard LCD library (a sort of driver). I think there are librarys for some of the other types but I haven't ventured there.

The "rotary" in the picture is a Pot for adjusting the contrast in the LCD ,, a standard sort of thing.

The resistors can be just the small ones ,, they are not dissipating much so that's what I use.

Get yourself a Mega or a Uno and dig thru the Arduino site and try the simpler stuff until you get the hang of what it's all about. Then try one or two of the stuff on my site and by then there will be no holding you back. .

Cheers ,,, Jim

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Jim (and others )

OK i did some messing with an UNO and the link2fs for the UNO. Everything worked well. So now I want to try a nice setup with a MegA. I saw on Jim's site a nice diagram for the MEGA BUT it was only switches. Is there a diagram for different options? i.e. with rotaries, LEDs, switches etc.

I also saw something about Link2fs Multi... any place to get that? - DON'T WORRY found it!

So basically I think I will build with a MEGA but i can't find any circuit diagrams with possibilities other than switches.

Thanks again in advance.

There's heaps of stuff around ,, rotary encoders, LCD's,, LED's ,, LED displays and servo's.
    Have a dig thru the forum posts here or do a search will bring up a lot of stuff you can learn from.

On my website there are heaps of the simpler stuff ,, LED's, rotary encoders, meters, etc so there is another source for you.
    Even the "starter pack" shows how to use LED's in a basic manner.

Cheers ,, Jim

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks a mil Jim. Appreciated. I will keep digging hehehe

150+ Forum Groupie

OK i ordered another MEGA of dealextreme! So i have one available for testing and another on the way

150+ Forum Groupie

OK please sit back and observe as i make a complete @ss of myself - I wanted to try the mega last night using the link2fsmulti.

I had an UNO working with gear lights and spoiler switches etc. Now on the multi screens there is A,a,>a,A>,=A - In short what do i need to do (please i am VERY new - couple days - to link2fs) - how do i tie that back to an OUT or IN i.e. switch or LED?

Thanks in advance.

At this stage just use Link2fs_InOut as the "Multi" is only a "pre-beta" release for Beta Testers.

The "Multi", so far, has no help, no Doc's, no demo's etc etc.and things are rapidly changing.

Cheers ,,, Jim

150+ Forum Groupie

AH ok cool - thanks Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    At this stage just use Link2fs_InOut as the "Multi" is only a "pre-beta" release for Beta Testers.

The "Multi", so far, has no help, no Doc's, no demo's etc etc.and things are rapidly changing.

Cheers ,,, Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast