150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mechanical CNC NOT Laser CNC - Questions - Panels

Hey all

HAPPY NEW YEAR from Sunny South Africa!

Well I have been off the "radar" for some time. Between work and family time has really played it's hand and left me with not mucg to hold. However, with that said, I started my 737 build about 4 years ago. I decided on FSBUS - may change that now as it seems to be acting up - BUT be that as it may I used to have to "outsource" my panel making requirements to a small hobby company that had a laser CNC. I got as far as the MCP built and working and the EFIS cut, painted and engraved.

Now a few years down the line I am thinking of chaging a few things. I now have a nice CNC machine with 1200mmx1200mm bed, 200mm high gantry and a 4th axis.

Considering there are folk on here i.e Wendy who have done their own work I would like to know what speeds, i.e. spindle speed and feed speeds, are being used? I have some perspex laying around from the previous years but thinking of moving to acrylic or plexi?

Also i am looking for some GOOD files for a throttle quadrant for 737. I have one but it is foreign and I dont see, logically how it would all fit together.

Any advice will be Most welcome.

IMAG0279.jpgIMAG0280.jpg

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Mechanical CNC NOT Laser CNC - Questions - Panels

AH another question - I see some are making their own circuit boards. I have a bunch of circuit board mills - what do yuo use to design and generate the g-code for these boards?

Thanks again.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    AH another question - I see some are making their own circuit boards. I have a bunch of circuit board mills - what do yuo use to design and generate the g-code for these boards?

Thanks again.
    Hi
    I use Autocad to design the lightplate along with the pcb so as to get all the holes for mounting and switches etc. to line up correctly. I save the file as a "dxf"" then use an Eagle file "dxftoscr" to convert that file to a script which I then run in Eagle software to layout the pcb. Add your components and draw tracks. No need to make a schematic, only position the components and draw the pcb tracks yourself. After all, backlighting circuits are only + and - to the resistor/leds. Then use PCBGcode to convert the eagle file into a cnc file. You can get "dxftoscr.exe" and "pcb-gcode.exe" free on the internet.
    Hardest part is getting the pcb to lay flat on a flat surface as the copper is only 50 microns thick (I think) so even a little dust under the pcb wil cause problems.
    I use 30 degree V bits to cut the pcb
    regards
    geoff

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Geoff

Thanks for that response. I don't have autocad but i have Rhino 4. Now if i understand you correctly you design the light plate and PC board in autocad then convert for eagle is there no problem with the lightpanel detail being in there too? is it as simple as deleting the lightpanel lines OR do yuo create and export the PCB dxf from a separate layer?

Quote Originally Posted by jonesthesoftware View Post
    Hi
    I use Autocad to design the lightplate along with the pcb so as to get all the holes for mounting and switches etc. to line up correctly. I save the file as a "dxf"" then use an Eagle file "dxftoscr" to convert that file to a script which I then run in Eagle software to layout the pcb. Add your components and draw tracks. No need to make a schematic, only position the components and draw the pcb tracks yourself. After all, backlighting circuits are only + and - to the resistor/leds. Then use PCBGcode to convert the eagle file into a cnc file. You can get "dxftoscr.exe" and "pcb-gcode.exe" free on the internet.
    Hardest part is getting the pcb to lay flat on a flat surface as the copper is only 50 microns thick (I think) so even a little dust under the pcb wil cause problems.
    I use 30 degree V bits to cut the pcb
    regards
    geoff

150+ Forum Groupie

Can Rhino export a "dxf"file? You need a file type which Eagle can open that's why I use the dxftoscr to get a script file that produces effectively a line drawing in Eagle which gives the positions of edges, holes, cutouts, text etc. I then use the component libraries in Eagle and place the components in the required positions e.g. LEDs and resistors. Then I draw the tracks where I need them on the bottom layer. Then I use the pcb-gcode to produce the cnc Gcode file. Having all the positions on the "board" in Eagle ensures that I don't put components in the wrong place(mostly anyway hehehe). The secret is in the fact that the pcb-Gcode program only converts the tracks on the bottom layer and the drill holes from the components and ignores all of the lines you imported. Using the Autocad file as the master makes sure that everything lines up when it comes to assembly time.
    For cutting perspex/acrylic I find a single or double flute cutter with a continuous jet of air or vacuum to keep it clear works ok. I can't quote traverse speeds but I use 14000 rpm spindle. Plastics melt very easily so slow and cool does it.
    Regards
    geoff

6. Thanks shearder thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Geoff

Yes Rhino can export DXF. I have eagle and i have downloaded those little conversion programs. I have a set of circuit board end mills. How do you drill the holes? OR do you use a separate drill bit? i haven't used the end mills yet OH MAN they are TINY!! Like these:

10 Carbide Micro Drill Set 0 25 0 8mm PCB CNC Dremel Press Bits New 1 8 Shank | eBay

I used to drill these holes myself with a dremel and a pile of expensive drill bits that didn't last too long LOL - i was using fiberglass based boards. I can't find any others.

Note: Thought these say Dremel bits this is just an example - The ones I have are actual PCB end mills for CNC router

150+ Forum Groupie

Pcb-Gcode generates several files from your Eagle "board"drawing. One of which is a"drill" file. So first I run the "etch" file to do the isolation routing of the tracks using the 30 deg V bit, then I mount a 0.8 mm pcb drill bit in the spindle and run the "drill" file to drill the holes. The pcbgcode programme caters for all the correct drill sizes but my cnc machine does not support tool changes so sometimes I manually edit the cnc code and sometimes I just drill all the holes at 0.8mm as this is ok for resistors and LEDs
    regards
    geoff

9. Thanks shearder thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Maybe oneday when i am big my CNC will have a tool changer LOL

Thanks for all your help Geoff! It has been a GREAT help and I understand 100% what you have said and am ready to try my hand hehehe thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesthesoftware View Post
    Pcb-Gcode generates several files from your Eagle "board"drawing. One of which is a"drill" file. So first I run the "etch" file to do the isolation routing of the tracks using the 30 deg V bit, then I mount a 0.8 mm pcb drill bit in the spindle and run the "drill" file to drill the holes. The pcbgcode programme caters for all the correct drill sizes but my cnc machine does not support tool changes so sometimes I manually edit the cnc code and sometimes I just drill all the holes at 0.8mm as this is ok for resistors and LEDs
    regards
    geoff

25+ Posting Member

Hi,

i also do the basic panel layout with auto cad. If you need dxf rhino should also be fine. The pcb layout is done in Sprint Layout. This program allows to prepare the toll path for the the holes and the isolation milling. Then the program creates 1 excellon drill file for the drilling holes and another file for the isolation millings. These files are converted in Lazy Cam ( comes with Mach 3) to cnc readable program. The program is loaded into mach3 and you are ready to go. I use 0,7 mm end mills (no V shape) as the pcb board is not 100% flat on the surface of the cnc machine. If you use V shape a slight difference in height will give you different widths of the isolation channels. So i prefer end mills with cylindrical shape. Feedrate is 150mm/min, 16.000 rpm, and 0,2 mm cutting depth.

Sprint layout cannot use dxf as input so i need to make a manual input of the drilling hole positions which i get out of autocad.

If needed check my threat for some pics here:
    <http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/my-cockpit-update/19967-start-b737-ng-project-2.html>

Good luck.
    Andy

150+ Forum Groupie

OK I am planning to go and buy some white acrylic today for some panels for a King Air B200. I have an idea of what i will do BUT i thought let me pass it via the forum first:

I have the designs for the panels and they are almost ready for cutting. Plan is to cut all the holes and pockets etc THEN spray as necessary and THEN engrave the lettering.

Now: my question is: how are yuo doing the engraving after cut and paint? DO you put it back into the "cutout" and use shims the size of the end mill i.e. 3mm or 1/8" and the machine would have kept the 0 settings for XYZ OR do you reset the center pont and engrave?

OR how do you do it? I am hoping Gwyn can answer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast