Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New tutorial available at www.Opencockpits.com - Using multiple USB modules with a single script

Hello fellow builders!

I have written a tutorial on how to use Multiple USB modules and cards with a single script in SIOC! The tutorial uses a specific example with Project Magenta as its software counterpart. We have used it on our flightdeck, so the result has been verified!

Could be useful for the Newbies to OC hardware

enjoy

Link:

Tutorial Using multiple modules with only one Sioc's script (English).

Morten

Arctic Cockpit Project-Vardų, Norway (2002-2010) 737NG-PM-OC-FDS

2. Thanks kiek, tiburon thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Re: New tutorial available at www.Opencockpits.com - Using multiple USB modules with a single script

Hello Morten,

Thank you for your contribution. And thanks for your kind words with respect to my website on Opencockpits.
    I'll refer to your tutorial when people ask me generic questions about Opencockpits Modules.

Terminology is indeed sometimes confusing, I'm thinking of changing my 'logical' and 'real' device terminology into your (or OCs) device index and device numbers.

However, I would have called your tutorial: Using multple modules with only one SIOC.exe ...
    Because that was your goal, how to get rid of three SIOC.exe instances.

Note that a SIOC instance always runs only one .ssi file. But that .ssi file can be compiled from one or from multiple SIOC scripts (files)... In my terminology a script is a .txt file... (see ConfigSioc of Opencockpits Tutorial, compiling single or multiple files)
    In your tutorial you are compiling multiple SIOC scripts into one .ssi file, in order to need only one SIOC.exe instance

regards,
    Nico

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: New tutorial available at www.Opencockpits.com - Using multiple USB modules with a single script

Morten

Many thanks for this. Although I have been using SIOC for many years, I did not appreciate that the Device Index was unique across all cards. I mistakenly thought that the Device Index differentiated between different cards of the same type ie the first USBServo card would be 0, the second would be 1 and so on. Not so, if you already have a Mastercard already connected, unless you make the Mastercard any Device Number other than 0 or 1

This might explain the odd problem I have encountered in the past, so thanks again

Now if only we could access other OC mastercards on different computers via sioc over the network

David

5. Thanks iwik thanked for this post

Hello veteran builders Nico and David!

Nico:
    Thank you for your kind words! I do feel honored been given praise by the very man that inspired me to do this !
    Thank you Nico! I'm not going spend the better part of this post telling you how important your explanations on SIOC presented at your site have been! But you are the English-writing master wizard of SIOC! (Even the Grand master himself thinks so )

As to your suggestions:
    I agree with you, the terminology is very important, and as soon as I have revised the tutorial I will change it's name (and relevant content) so it reflects your point!

David:
    you're so right! These declarations made us pull our hair out! And I didn't hack it before I read the PM OVH script! I find it interesting that the IOCard-SIOC system is so very elegant in its structure. Other HW interface protocols get the job done! But with SIOC, your toolbox goes from something you can fix your G20 Chevy Van with, to fixing the Enterprise!

Subjective opinions differ, but I'm willing to go a couple of rounds for OC SIOC, defending that claim!

Happy New Year to the both of you

Morten

Now if only we could access other OC mastercards on different computers via sioc over the network
    David:

Have you tried the IOCP clients module option for this?

I don't know how it works (yet), but this must be exactly what you're looking for

500+ This must be a daytime job

Morten and I are working on this with some initial success Watch this space!