Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: To buy the FDS MCP/EFIS and CDU or not

Alex, I would be glad to go through what I did step by step if you would like to email me. Maybe it will work for you as well. send me your email address and I will make a list for you of the steps I took to get mine working. My email burtoned@gmail.com, or here even, whatever you prefer. Let me know.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Hi Ed, cpflight have responded and they have told me their pro and el series are interchangeable. Thanks.

Those with the el, any regrets not getting the mcp pro? The price is just not to my liking at double the cost.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by OmniAtlas View Post
    Hi Ed, cpflight have responded and they have told me their pro and el series are interchangeable. Thanks.

Those with the el, any regrets not getting the mcp pro? The price is just not to my liking at double the cost.
    Great support from CPFlight. Have nothing bad to say about them. I didn't want to spend the extra on the Pro model at this point either, Want to spend the exstra on a radio etc, then maybe upgrade to the Pro at a later date. Love mine. It pretty much does everything the Pro does al be it with some short cuts. Here are the differences as explained to me by Claudio:

Hello,

substantially the EL is an "entry-level" product where the PRO version is oriented to more exigent cockpit builder. The main differences of the PRO version are:

- Front-panel: the EL use a symple plastic plate backlighted by LED's placed on the main printed circuit board. The MCP-PRO have a more complex faceplate that include a special light diffusion layer and an additional printed circuit board with SMD LED's integrated in the faceplate thickness; this result in a more homogeneous and brilliant backlight.

- Pushbuttons: on the real 737 there are two main MCP versions (if I correctly remember one is produced by Honeywell and the other by Collins). The two versions use different pushbuttons. One use dual dot green LED and the labels are on the frontplate (EL) the other have labels directly on the pushbuttons (PRO). This involve an higher cost.

- A/T ARM switch: the PRO version use electromagnetic disengage Auto Throttle ARM switch (automatically disengage at the tuchdown during autoland and so on). Due to the low cost concept of the EL, this is not used in this version, the Auto Throttle disarm condition is indicated by the A/T Led blinking, but the switch remain in the ON position.

- Knobs: the PRO version use custom made knobs for the rotaries (where the EL version have standard knobs with different shape respect the real one)

- Bank selector: the PRO version use dual concentric knob on the HDG to allows to directly select the bank angle limit. The function is also supported by the EL version, but there is not a dedicated knob. To set the bank angle on the EL version you have to push and hold the HDG pusbutton for more than 2 seconds to enter the Bank angle setting mode and then set the angle throug the HDG knob. It work, but it is not like the real 737.

- white display on the PRO version where the EL use amber display (this is relted to the equivalent real version).

- the PRO also use a more strong construction and better components.

About the EFIS consider the same concept; for example the RADIO/BARO and IN/HPA selector on the PRO version have a dedicated concentric knob where the EL version support this function on the single knob throug "push-Hold and rotate".
    The PRO version MCP will be available again in the next few days.

Best Regards,
    Claudio Azimonti
    CPflight

All the best,

Hi Thanks Ed, I'm going to go ahead with the MCP EL purchase but I'm not very happy with the paypal conversion rate with the credit card. Did you buy direct from CP Flight or another retailer?

Cheers,

Ben

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Thanks Ed, I'm going to go ahead with the MCP EL purchase but I'm not very happy with the paypal conversion rate with the credit card. Did you buy direct from CP Flight or another retailer?

Cheers,

Ben
    Hi Ben,

I bought direct from CP Flight. Had it in 6 days. Euro is sitting around 1.30 something right now, hurts a bit. I see an EL set for sale in the classifieds, but the guy isn't answering any of his mail..so might be a red flag there.

I'm really enjoying my gear.

All the best

Yeah, we may wait for the currency to steady before making the final decision. Or until a better deal comes up - second hand anyone?

Do you know how many radio panels I can plug into the MCP before I need a power adapter?

Thanks again.

150+ Forum Groupie

Yeah, we may wait for the currency to steady before making the final decision. Or until a better deal comes up - second hand anyone?

Do you know how many radio panels I can plug into the MCP before I need a power adapter?

Thanks again.
    Hi Ben,

The Euro has been sitting at 1.30 Canadian for a long long time now. Might be awhile before that changes. There's a nice combo for sale in the classifieds, but it seems he's not getting his emails for some reason. I think 800 is a very good price and they are unused..still in the plastic wrap. Mine cost me $1000 plus after exchange..shipping and taxes.

I've emailed Claudio about a function on my EFIS and at the same time asked him how many modules can be daisy chained before a power supply becomes necessary. Will let you know his answer when I hear back from him.

All the best,m

Thanks Ed.

Found an FDS older model MCP and EFIS for sale as well. Can anyone vouch for its functionality? I think it is based on their older G2 interface card which was also created by cp flight. CP flight is plug and play; I don't know anything about the FDS model - documentation/reviews on the web is severely lacking.

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks again.
    This was the response from CPFlight concerning the power adapter:

If you want to add other to the modules that you arleady have is better to add the power supply ( usually the configuration without power supply is the MCP with 2 efis). The efis have no display so thay have a low power consumption, instead the radio, due to the display, have an high power consumption and need the power supply
    Regards,
    Paolo
    CPflight

All the best,

Thanks Ed, that clarifies it. I have a second hand 737NAV radio on the way, and hopefully the MCP EL and EFIS EL -- I hope I don't regret the EFIS EL -- wanted to go with the PRO, maybe at the later stage.

I've switched over the NGX to use the honeywell so I can get use to it No real difference there.

The only real difference I can see between the PRO and the EL is the cosmetic and solenoid switch -- perhaps the build quality is better, but we will have to see.

I'm still waiting for my Jetmax throttle from FDS. :-/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast