Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

APU Module reworked

I re-wired the apu module and installed real gauges...unfortunatley they are not 146 specific...but they still look pretty good. I have included a picture of my engine anti-ice and engine start modules as well. These modules are run by programmable chips (Melabs) and some are connected to the Bodnar interface board and programmed through FSUIPC to enable functions such as engine start etc. The panels are from the actual aircraft , and the hidden legend light units have been modified to accept 5mm superbright LED's.

For any 146 experts out there....this APU module shows the "APU OIL LO PRESS' annunciator remaining illuminated to about 60% rpm...in the real aircraft this does not happen as this light is extinguished until the APU reaches 100% + 4 seconds. What does happen is that the engine START PWR annunciator located on the engines start panel illuminates and extinguishes @ 60%....for some reason I am having a hard time wiring this lamp from the APU module to the engine start module and therefore decided to connect it to something useful...like the APU OIL LO PRESS lamp....when I figure it out I will wire it correctly.

Note that the APU FUEL VALVE illuminates and extinguishes following a start selection, this lamp is indicating a valve 'not in position' selected indication and is normal to see these type of lights illuminate for a short time as the valve travels to the requested position. If this light was to remain illuminated, it would indicate a disagreement in switch and valve position (ie switch on and valve closed)

The green APU PWR AVAIL annunciator illuminates after the RPM reaches 100% plus 4 seconds. At this point air and electrical power can be selected. Note that this module is wired so that when air or electrical power is selected, the TGT will show an increase.

Apu Start Video by Mach73 | Photobucket
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks Norwegian737project thanked for this post

Re: APU Module reworked

Excellent work so far! By the way, what FS Aircraft are you basing your Cockpit on? QualityWings?

Hello Avro748,

Unfortunatley i wanted to, but am using a generic 'add-on'. The problem with products like 'captain sim' and 'quality wings'...and for that matter even the freeware 146/RJ panels at BAe Panel Project is that they are write protected (for lack of a better terminology) and I cannot access the panels thru FSpanelStudio, nor does my goflight MCP modules work properly. To be honest have not tried Quality wings, but there correspondence suggests it would not work for my application.

My plan is to hook up as many items as I can through one or two Leo Bodnar boards (8U0836X) such as throttles, switches, gear, flaps, etc then run a parrellell simulation with FS2004 using warning lights etc...let me explain:

These rocker switches on the overhead panel are of a two pole single throw type...this means that with one half of the switch I can send an on/off function to the bodnar board to operate a switch within FS2004 (FSUIPC identified), and with the other half of the switch I can send it's on/off output to a micoprocessor chip to operate a module like the engine start panel for all the required lights during a start sequence. By manipulating the resistor(s) or thru chip programming, I can get the exact moment the light units (such as engine ingnition ON and starter Operating) will extinguish following engine start.

The system works pretty seamless....and if you didn't know any better you would think FS9 was controlling the whole thing.

Very clever idea with LED timing. By the way, once you have all the Potentiometers you need in your cockpit; if you still need switch inputs, you should use a BBI-32 instead. It's just like the 836, except it doesn't support analogue inputs, and thus it is cheaper.