150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Is it even posible to have the cockpit in my room?

Hello i have the bigest room in the house and it is 2700cm widge 3710cm lengdh
    Is it even posible to have the 737 cockpit in my room? and build the shell or is it better to just build the interior?

10+ Posting Member

Re: Is it even posible to have the cockpit in my room?

I think 27M by 37.1M would be plenty for a 737. However you will also need to consider things like spacing if you're planning to use a projector for your outside views. Another question that is important to ask is whether you'll be needing to fit anything else into this room. I sense from the wording on your post that you might be a student who is still living at home. in which case I presume you still need to fit a desk and a bed into this room. I am currently ion a similar situation and have opted to just stick to the planning aspects of my cockpit until I have a better living situation in which to station my simulator

75+ Posting Member

You must be a decimal place off. A full sized 737 is 3800 cm long!

10+ Posting Member

Good point ned. I was thinking a 37x27m room was huge but I didn't stop to think of the actual scale. Either a decimal place error or the OP meant mm rather than cm

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

I think you need at least a 4x4m room for a dual trainer cockpit, with the shell and surround visuals.

150+ Forum Groupie

Well, you could physically get a full-scale 737 shell in that room, but you might have problems with the visual system - there being little or no room around the shell to do the projection.

You could look at a scaled-down shell. It's not a perfect solution since your MIP etc can't be full-sized, but at least one builder here has done a nice-looking 737 cockpit inside a business-jet-sized enclosure. But that still probably wouldn't save you enough space, depending exactly on how you oriented the shell.

My project - slowest build on the planet though it is - is in a room 2.4m wide by 3.6m long, so fairly similar to yours. My shell is 2m wide at the rear (as opposed to the 737 which I believe needs 2.5m at the rear), 1.8m deep and 2.2m high. I'm not actually going for a 737, it's a generic shell, but it's dual-seat and airliner-style. The key compromise I've had to make in putting a shell of that size in a room of that size is that my visual system cannot be wrap-around - there's just no way to fit in a projection screen anywhere other than directly in front, not even with the shortest throw projectors. There's only 20cm between the right hand side of the shell and the wall. At the moment I'm considering front projection with monitors at the sides for situational awareness, but that won't be massively immersive compared to the 220+ degree FOV builds out there. Or I might go for multiple large LCD panels, but again, the lack of space to the side may make it impossible to make a screen arrangement that can be properly warped.

My advice, then, is to think about the visual system first and decide what you can do in the space available. You can do clever things with mirrors, for example. And then fit the shell into the space permitted; and if necessary, scale down or go for a bizjet or LearJet, which might fit better.