75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

oc master card and 8pos rotary switch?

this must be for most of you an elemantry question but i still ask...
    my cockpit is almost done as far as wood cutting monitor installing etc... i even made the flaps gauge work yay!
    now its time to add some switches knobs etc...
    so i wanted to start simple add an 8 position rotary switch to captain select panel to change what is displayed on DU, as an example, nvm programing with sioc i'm not there yet
    my question i think will make you laugh i think it so simple , but i dont know it.. lol
    i plan on using oc master card with their usb expansion card so that i can connect mastercard to extension card to my computer via USB.... now...
    i have this 8pos rotary switch (not in front of me but i recall it has 9 connctors) 8 positions 1 is ground
    WHERE DO I PLUG THIS BUGGER NOW????
    j2 and j3 if i recall are for inputs for total of 72 inputs
    so do i just plug ground to ground pin and the other 8 to any other pins of my choice (prefeable beside each other) if i have another 8 way rotary switch do i again plug the 8 to anoter 8 pins and share ground with the first one... ?
    sorry if this is dumb question but i found no tutorial on something like that maybe cu its so obvies...
    yet there is a tut on usboutputs card exactly detailing how to hook up LED but i found nothing on how to hook up something like ROTARY SWITCH to master card..?

Thanks
    Andy

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: oc master card and 8pos rotary switch?

The h/w is explained in in Spanglish here

http://www.opencockpits.com/uploads/...V2_English.pdf

Basically the inputs are arranged in groups of 9 with their specific ground. You must only use the ground that belongs to its own collection of inputs according to the pin numbers in the above link. You must not mix inputs with a ground from another group

With regard to programming in sioc I suggest you read the tutorials on Nico Kaan`s site where he has an example of using a rotary switch

How to program in SIOC, many basic examples

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Andy
    On the OC master card you can use either J3 or J4 for the inputs. They are grouped in blocks of 9 with the tenth pin of each group being the common ground for that group so 10,20,30,40 all gnd.
    So for your 8 way rotary connect the common rotary pin to pin 10 of say J3 then connect the other 8 pins in order to pins 1 to 8. Be careful because the pins on the 40 way IDE connector on the board do not match the input numbers.
    i.e
    IDE pin Input no
    1------- 1
    2------- 2
    3------- 4
    4------- 3
    5------- 6
    6------- 7
    7------- 0
    8------- 8
    9------- 5
    10 -----gnd
    also the others of J3 and J4 are crossed over. It's not a major problem just the GND pin position is absolute, the other inputs you can sort out using the "controllador.exe" program also from OC website. This will allow you to connect your inputs then controllador will tell you what number it is when you rotate your rotary switch. Don't forget master card needs external 5volts supply.
    Download the IOCARD users manual from the OC website, 5 parts which contain all you need to know.
    regards
    geoff

75+ Posting Member

ok, thanks guys, so it is as simple as i though...
    so pin numbers dont match input numbers, kinda understand, but 1 row of 10 pins is still 1 group correct... just if i count pins from left lets say instead of being 1,2,3..9.GRN they are more like geoff explained 1,2,4,3,6,7,0,8,5,GND
    so 1 group shoul accept 1 x 8way rotary switch and i still have 1 pin for input left so i could use for example a simple on/off switch..?
    they also offer 'input' and 'encoder input' boards for master card so i was wondering if you recomend these, first one is dirt cheap just helps so you can use screws for wires instead of making your own conectors... no big deal... but the second one allowes to connect ROTARY ENCODERS to MASTERCARD also screw based wire connection and 'i am assuming here' the 'encoder input' board will also allow for regular inputs from ROTARY SWITCH for example or On/OFF BUTTON, but if its ONLY FOR ENCODER input then nevermind.
    I am just trying to make a good shopping list here, shipping is expensive so i try to fill my shopping basket to the max before next big jump from 30€ shipping to 60€ shipping cost just cuz i added a piece that weights an ounce lol
    so far on my list are :
    USBExpension card
    MasterCard
    POSSIBLE ADD...
    EncoderInput Board ( only if accepts regular inputs and is not for ENCODERS ONLY)

dont care for the basic input board i can make my own little plugs
    I already own the USBServos and USBoutputs
    Thanks for your help
    Andy

Andy

Do not buy the encoder card input card! It does not work as an encoder with the latest versions of SIOC, unless they have recently changed the firmware. OC did not tell you that and I complained to them.

Depends on how you value your time, but I found the OC input/output breakout boards very useful as they automatically group the inputs for you.

75+ Posting Member

OK, will pass on the encoder Boards i only wanted one since its kinda like kill 2 birds with one stone have screws for wires and then encoder just in case i wanted to use one...
    OC input/output breakout boards by this do you mean the basic input board for 18 euros..?

Thanks
    Andy

"OC input/output breakout boards by this do you mean the basic input board for 18 euros..?"

Yes

Hi David and Andy, Seasons Greetings.

David: Im not sure if u are aware that if you follow this link there is an updated Firmware for the Encoders card
    which i think makes it more compatible. You can read about here just thought you might have bought a card to use
    and thought it was useless.

Rotary Encoders

les

Hi Les

Seasons greetings to you as well.
    I was not aware of this link, so many thanks indeed. I did think that I had wasted my time/money, so many thanks again
    This is the beauty of the forum - just when you think that it is all over, someone comes up with a new angle

Cheers

David

Nice to be able to help. Trouble i have is that i save all of that stuff and then when i need it i have to dig deep to find it.
    Getting older dosent help.

Les