Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Jim, The V3 Beta is working great!! If you haven't already started to finalize things though...

As I said, V3 is working great. I know you said you were thinking of heading straight into V4 as a final. I'm getting closer to done on my annunciator code and found one thing missing. The Avionics Bus Voltage and Current. On the flip side, I haven't been able to do anything useful yet with the Stall Alpha if you want to regain one extraction slot.

Edit:
    One other thought, is there any value output by FSX that might identify the aircraft that's loaded? The reason I ask is that I have a few aircraft my pit is emulating. A couple Singles, and a Couple Twins. Some with fixed gear some with retractable. It would be cool to be able to progamatically tell the difference. IF that's not possible I think I can come up with an alternate solution, but a coded solution would be so much better.

Thanks!
    Tom G.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASN, UTX, GEX, REX 4

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: Jim, The V3 Beta is working great!! If you haven't already started to finalize things though...

Yes OK Tom ,, easily done and I'll include them. I'll get rid of that stall alpha reading so we then have 5 slots empty.
    "Avionics buss volts".
    "Avionics buss amps".
    so that leaves 3 slots ,, I was thinking for your other problem ,,
    "Number of engines" ,,
    "Is gear retractable" ,,
    If that suits your purpose then we have 1 slot left.
    Any idea anyone ????
    This will be the last for the old VB6 program and it looks like I can't make it into a "1 file" program. I've have all sorts of troubles with that idea and basically I've decided that my time is better spent on the new one.

OK ,, So now I've spilt some beans ,, James (Meller) and I have been working (on and off for months) on another program that will leave the old VB6 one for dead ,, We conjured up a plan and it's been slowly coming together. It's taken a while tho ,,, I got sidetracked on building my own version of Wideveiw and then James got a lot of "feathers in his cap" at his work (con-grad's James) so he has been flat out with his work stuff.
    I'm now in the position to get back into it and finish it.

So as a final fling with the old one ,,, any one want a specific extraction ??? If not ,, I will bring out the "Time". (I can see a use for that)

Happy thinking guys ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Re: Jim, The V3 Beta is working great!! If you haven't already started to finalize things though...

Time would be a good one and I would take advantage of that for sure.

I was going to ask about splitting the the Fuel % out to a per tank value but Time seems even more useful. Last night I added the code and formulas to use your Fuel % overall value and Gallons per tank to calculate a fuel % per tank in order to trip my Low Fuel Left and Low Fuel Right LED's. They come on at <= 25% for each tank regardless of tank size.

I also solved for the engine issue but I can still see potential uses for an indication of the number of engines.

The Gear type indicator is still a hot one for me. Two solutions came to mind: 1. A fixed/retractable indicator extraction like like you suggested; or 2. Having the three gear values default to 100 on fixed gear aircraft. At present they go to 000 on fixed gear. Either solution solves my current problem, but I wonder if having a separate extraction for fixed/retractable would allow for more flexibility... not sure.

Yup, as I ponder and type, time would be the next one on my hit list.

I picked up a small LCD display a week or so back and have been using it as a code monitor for debugging as I write each new block of code. Last night I decided that when it was done serving that purpose I would be installing it in my MIP and coding a couple different things for it to display to include time, volt/amp meter, air temp, and maybe a flight timer for holds and such, etc.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I'm now writing the code in junks because I've maxed out the poor little Uno that I pilfered from my sons science project. The boss told me I had to wait to see if Santa would put a Mega in my stocking or I would get my sim pit spending privileges revoked. She still hasn't thrown me or my fuselage out in the cold so I really can't complain.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASN, UTX, GEX, REX 4

I have to recant on the engine issue. I thought I had solved it, BUT . . .

SO, an extraction that gave the number of engines is more than potentially useful, I really need it

500+ This must be a daytime job

Jim,

Thanks for being so open to asking us for input. You are a class act, sir.

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

Thanks Reid and Tom ,, Well I fired the extractions in and done a couple of other mod's and here is the beta.

http://www.jimspage.co.nz/link2fs_inout.htm
    I haven't tested it much so you guys can have a play.
    It's only the exe and it needs to be put into the folder with version2's other files etc.
    You're present ini file will still work with this.

I could not get the "Avionics bus amps" to work with using my setup. ,,, I not sure what the problem is but it could be a glitch in simconnect itself or what service packs, planes, simconnect version etc.
    I tried different "tricks" and it is bringing out the "00.0" so I'll see how you guys go.

OK Happy fiddling Guys ,,, Jim

Edit: Changed the link to reflect an even later (newer) one.
    Last edited by Jim NZ; 12-22-2012 at 04:40 AM.

I've just started using V4. So far so good!!!

I'll let you know how it goes. My short little annunciater sketch has gone from a few hundred lines to over 600.

Testing and debugging is not real easy on an UNO, can't wait for Santa to bring me a Mega. For now I comment out entire sections of code while testing others. I'm sure when I load it all on the Mega it will yield other issues that could not be uncovered using this crude method.

600 lines !!!! What are you writing your life's history or something LOL !!

Tom, I've been thinking about this and it wouldn't be too much of a mission to quickly add some Annunciator triggers to my VB6 program ,,so when a (settable) trigger is reached it just sends a code out to the Arduino to turn that particular LED on or off.
    That way all the work is done within my program and not by sending the raw data out via the serial just to be checked within the Arduino itself. (That seems a waste of resources)

My new program has this but it's a while away yet and no doubt you will be wanting progress straight after Santa calls.

Any thoughts ??? ,,, Jim

That sounds real good!!!

I'm using some generic thresholds for the annunciators to compromise between the 3 or 4 GA aircraft I'm emulating. Some I found through experimentation with FSX, some by reading actual aircraft doc's, others are a guess at best.

There are a couple though that do varry quite a bit between aircraft so I haven't figured out what to do about those. For example the lower limit on vaccuum pressure varies quite a bit between Cessna and Beech. But other than that the basic annunciators are fairly common.

Low Master Bus Voltage seems to trip below 24v
    Low Oil Pressure <37 on the Cessna
    Low Vac Pressure <3.7 on the Beech and in the high 4's on the Cessna
    Low Fuel is fairly generic at about 25% per tank with an annunciator per tank.

I'm also doing a gear up warning based on Beech that triggers an alarm as follows.
    If all gear are not locked down and,
    (the throttle drops below 50%, or the flaps are at full extension, or you drop within x of approach speed).
    I am modifying mine so it does not trip the alarm above 1500 AGL (upper pattern altitude). And, changing the throttle to 47% to get it just below my decent throttle setting I'm using on a few. I'am also going to trip it regardless of flaps, or throttle if the aircraft drops to 250 AGL with the gear up.

Add to all that the Gear in Transit light and the three gear lock lights.

I still need to code the LED triggers for all the comm panel buttons, the Nav/GP indicator, and the OMI markers.

After that I am back to servo and stepper motors for the:
    flap position indicator
    AP elevator trim
    Outside Air temp thermometer
    Whiskey Compass

And I still need to circling back around to the original reason I started looking at the Arduino and Link2FS, serial fed 7 segment LED displays for the avionics gear.

And of course there's that LCD display I picked up, can't let that sit idle so a clock, timer, and voltmeter are on the to do list.

I don't think I can cram all that onto one board, even a mega so I may end up with yet another but we'll see.

I was going to post a copy of my work to date but last night but I managed to blow it up. I've done something that seems to be freezing up the board when certain if statements execute. The Rx/Tx lights on the board show that it's talking to Link2FS but nothing works. If I can't figure it out by the weekend I'll be putting out a cry for help.

All that aside, V4 Beta is working well! Thanks so much for your contribution to the community!!!

500+ This must be a daytime job

Jim,

A settable trigger would be outstanding. One thought though...
    When setting the triggers it would be good if there were some way to set
    " if ....and" or "if...or" settings.

Things that pop to mind are "if MASTER BATTERY or MASTER ALTERNATOR are on and BUS VOLTS < 24.0 Then light led x"
    also something like ""if MASTER BATTERY or MASTER ALTERNATOR are on and ENGINE 1 OIL PRESS >x or
    Not sure if that makes any sense, but would be a really neat facility to have.

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast