Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

What is possible?

Hello everyone. I'm just curious if it is possible to do the following with FSUIPC.

Knowing that annunciator lights in FS are simply Gauges that change their bitmap when certain values are reached. Using FSUIPC, is it possible to monitor the lights and translate them to an LED output?

Is it possible to do the same with a custom gauge that doesn't use default values, like Water Methanol Quantity or Fuel Trim Indicators, and convert that to a servo output?

Is it possible to use mouse macros to map a button or switch to set everything into a cold and dark state?

Is it possible to allow the cockpit lighting/back-lighting to turn on only when the battery masters are running?

I'm also wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to a Leo Bodnar Interface card, which only supports inputs anyway. I'm guessing that a cheaper one would require soldering, which I can handle. I would not be exited to pay $80 to handle half my overhead panel, which is fewer than 20 switches. What I really need is something that I can easily solder LEDs, Pots, Rotary Encoders, Buttons, Switches, etc. into and have it show up as an HID device on my computer with little or no programming. My only programming experience is in Python, and they completely changed the API for that.

Thank you.

Re: What is possible?

Anyone at least have an answer for one of these questions?

25+ Posting Member

Hello TBA,

The best place for FSUIPC questions is Pete Dowson's FSUIPC forum located here.

One other thing to do is read the documentation that comes with FSUIPC.

Knowing that annunciator lights in FS are simply Gauges that change their bitmap when certain values are reached. Using FSUIPC, is it possible to monitor the lights and translate them to an LED output?
    I do not know of a way to monitor the "lights" but you could monitor the condition that changes the light. You could do this by monitoring the programing (code) that tells the light to come on. FSUIPC has a logging feature that will help you find what that is but you would still need a way to trigger the LED.

Is it possible to do the same with a custom gauge that doesn't use default values, like Water Methanol Quantity or Fuel Trim Indicators, and convert that to a servo output?
    FSUIPC will not drive those gauges.

Is it possible to use mouse macros to map a button or switch to set everything into a cold and dark state?
    Better yet save the flight in a cold and dark state then make it the default start up flight. Other than that I think you would need to use LUA to set it in a cold and dark state. If building a sim panel then your buttons would need to be in the cold and dark state.

Is it possible to allow the cockpit lighting/back-lighting to turn on only when the battery masters are running?
    FSUIPC itself will not do that. But using other means this can be done.

I'm also wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to a Leo Bodnar Interface card, which only supports inputs anyway. I'm guessing that a cheaper one would require soldering, which I can handle. I would not be exited to pay $80 to handle half my overhead panel, which is fewer than 20 switches. What I really need is something that I can easily solder LEDs, Pots, Rotary Encoders, Buttons, Switches, etc. into and have it show up as an HID device on my computer with little or no programming. My only programming experience is in Python, and they completely changed the API for that
    Cheaper? I am sure there is but might require you to program it and might not be plug and play. All you really need is a joystick emulator board that FSUIPC will see.

Again best answers on FSUIPC can be found on Pete's website but it would be best if you went out and did some research on the answers you are looking for either here or google.

Thank you for the help. I can't save the plane in a cold and dark state because it has advanced programming that isn't read by the Sim's default save engine.

Another question:
    Does the Open Cockpit's servo card support linear servos?

PS: I have learned how to solder now, so forget the last question.